+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Bigbottle MC Phonostage

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Good morning all,

Would the power supply in the link be suitable or is there another you would recommend.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192498606...torefresh=true
    Ah, sorry mate, I have been negligent here! I completely forgot.

If you want total silence, you must either use Toroidy.Pl or similar custom toroid manufacturer.

Avoid Airlink. the last three I had from there have a mechanical hum which I hate with a vengeance.

The one in your link is fine but as Alan said some shielding will be required. Loads available in China for 10 and they work really well.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A
    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Yes that transformer is suitable, I have used the same one myself.

However there is a caveat. The tx isn't a toroid so the magnetic field is greater, unless you shield it very effectively or have a large case so it can be positioned far from the MC inputs you may have problems with induced hum.
    Also with the construction a lot of these examples have a low mechanical hum/buzz to them. If you want silence then look elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah, sorry mate, I have been negligent here! I completely forgot.

If you want total silence, you must either use Toroidy.Pl or similar custom toroid manufacturer.

Avoid Airlink. the last three I had from there have a mechanical hum which I hate with a vengeance.

The one in your link is fine but as Alan said some shielding will be required. Loads available in China for 10 and they work really well.
    Thanks for the help Chaps! I'll look about a bit more and see what I can find

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I got a potted one from toroidy for about 60 more expensive than some but good quality and good service from them. You have to email them and they'll send you a quote etc as it's not part of their normal range.
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122