+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody know what this connector does?

I'm Tom.

I guess that settles it. It does seem to cut out the main signal though (like a headphone socket) so not much use as a subwoofer outlet
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST25 supertweeters; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912 + Miyajima ETR-Mono SUT; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; tube preamp - Gate Audio tube; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 Mk I tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage from Gate Audio preamp; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink.

I'm Grant.

you could always get it rewired to be a sub out I guess
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 2B/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO,RPI 3 IQDIGI/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

I'm Geoff.

Surely it's a pre-out. It's connected to the tape loop.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 14-08-2018 at 20:33.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Surely it's a pre-out.
    It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST25 supertweeters; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912 + Miyajima ETR-Mono SUT; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; tube preamp - Gate Audio tube; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 Mk I tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage from Gate Audio preamp; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!
    A headphone muting circuit is quite complex, this is a simple 3 way jack socket joined in parallel to the pre out. If it cuts out it's probably because a mono jack plug is joining the L/R positive outputs of the pre out together, which doesn't sound healthy to me. Could potentially result in damage, I wouldn't know.

All the subs I've had have had stereo RCAs in, with any mono RCA in being LFE. I believe LFE relies on an AV processor having a low pass output, or taking the .1 signal on a 5.1 soundtrack, so is not suitable for connection to stereo pre amps. Does your sub have stereo RCAs, in which case why are you trying a mono plug? If it has stereo inputs then a stereo jack should work fine. I should caveat I've not tried any of the above with it..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If you insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)

Edited to add link:
    http://www.neutrik.de/de-de/klinkens...hsen/nj3fp6c-b
    There is a downloadable set of circuit diagrams available to the right of the page.....
    Last edited by mikmas; 15-08-2018 at 00:10.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If your insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)
    That's just what I was hoping - great stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123