+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody know what this connector does?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Picked up a lovely sounding Gate Audio pre from Lawrence recently, in use in the study with a Garrard 401, Trichord Genesis, Pass Aleph M clone and a pair of Tannoy DC6es - really nice.

But it has a funny connector on the back - seemingly connected to the outputs - just wonder what it is?

My guess is either 1) earth socket - looks like it might take a banana plug? or 2) some kind of subwoofer output socket of a kind I've not seen before?

I had hoped to use split RCA cables to run a sub from the mono'd output of the only stereo pair of RCA outs, but it gave me a round loop so I gave up.

Anyway, could anyone enlighten me, I've shown a bigger picture of the overall layout in case that helps.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_nj...hoCatkQAvD_BwE

I'm Tom.

I guess that settles it. It does seem to cut out the main signal though (like a headphone socket) so not much use as a subwoofer outlet
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Grant.

you could always get it rewired to be a sub out I guess
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Geoff.

Surely it's a pre-out. It's connected to the tape loop.
    Last edited by Sherwood; Yesterday at 20:33.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Surely it's a pre-out.
    It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ikeda IT-407 tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Ikeda 9C III, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Sonovox MC-4 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; preamp - Firebottle custom; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage: Firebottle Plus; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Lawrence.

It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!
    A headphone muting circuit is quite complex, this is a simple 3 way jack socket joined in parallel to the pre out. If it cuts out it's probably because a mono jack plug is joining the L/R positive outputs of the pre out together, which doesn't sound healthy to me. Could potentially result in damage, I wouldn't know.

All the subs I've had have had stereo RCAs in, with any mono RCA in being LFE. I believe LFE relies on an AV processor having a low pass output, or taking the .1 signal on a 5.1 soundtrack, so is not suitable for connection to stereo pre amps. Does your sub have stereo RCAs, in which case why are you trying a mono plug? If it has stereo inputs then a stereo jack should work fine. I should caveat I've not tried any of the above with it..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If you insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)

Edited to add link:
    http://www.neutrik.de/de-de/klinkens...hsen/nj3fp6c-b
    There is a downloadable set of circuit diagrams available to the right of the page.....
    Last edited by mikmas; Today at 00:10.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If your insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)
    That's just what I was hoping - great stuff.

I'm Andrew.

It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ...
    That's because the mono jack plug shorted one output to ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    If it cuts out it's probably because a mono jack plug is joining the L/R positive outputs of the pre out together, which doesn't sound healthy to me.
    No, it's because the mono plug shorted one output to ground. However, you're correct that it isn't healthy to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Correct.

The preamp's outputs are simply available on two different types of socket wired in parallel - phono and jack. Nothing mysterious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123