+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody know what this connector does?

montesquieu Guest

I guess that settles it. It does seem to cut out the main signal though (like a headphone socket) so not much use as a subwoofer outlet

I'm Grant.

you could always get it rewired to be a sub out I guess
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Surely it's a pre-out. It's connected to the tape loop.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 14-08-2018 at 20:33.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Surely it's a pre-out.
    It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It cut the output to one channel when I put a mono 1/4 in jack in ... I don't have a stereo one to hand. If it mutes it's a headphone socket, if not then it's a preout. I have one coming on ebay so I'll keep you posted!
    A headphone muting circuit is quite complex, this is a simple 3 way jack socket joined in parallel to the pre out. If it cuts out it's probably because a mono jack plug is joining the L/R positive outputs of the pre out together, which doesn't sound healthy to me. Could potentially result in damage, I wouldn't know.

All the subs I've had have had stereo RCAs in, with any mono RCA in being LFE. I believe LFE relies on an AV processor having a low pass output, or taking the .1 signal on a 5.1 soundtrack, so is not suitable for connection to stereo pre amps. Does your sub have stereo RCAs, in which case why are you trying a mono plug? If it has stereo inputs then a stereo jack should work fine. I should caveat I've not tried any of the above with it..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If you insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)

Edited to add link:
    http://www.neutrik.de/de-de/klinkens...hsen/nj3fp6c-b
    There is a downloadable set of circuit diagrams available to the right of the page.....
    Last edited by mikmas; 15-08-2018 at 00:10.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    It's not a muting jack socket - that would require more contacts and a different wiring. Clincher is the relevant Neutrik product page that identifies the NJ3 type as a 'Stereo Unswitched' jack socket.
    What you did when your inserted the mono jack plug was short one channel to ground - not an experiment worth repeating.

If your insert a stereo jack you will get both channels outputting in parallel with anything connected to the RCA outputs (i.e. nothing will be muted)
    That's just what I was hoping - great stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123