+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know what this connector does?

montesquieu Guest

Default Anybody know what this connector does?

Picked up a lovely sounding Gate Audio pre from Lawrence recently, in use in the study with a Garrard 401, Trichord Genesis, Pass Aleph M clone and a pair of Tannoy DC6es - really nice.

But it has a funny connector on the back - seemingly connected to the outputs - just wonder what it is?

My guess is either 1) earth socket - looks like it might take a banana plug? or 2) some kind of subwoofer output socket of a kind I've not seen before?

I had hoped to use split RCA cables to run a sub from the mono'd output of the only stereo pair of RCA outs, but it gave me a round loop so I gave up.

Anyway, could anyone enlighten me, I've shown a bigger picture of the overall layout in case that helps.

I'm John.

Looks like a 1/4" stereo locking jack socket, looped off the outputs.

Once inserted the red button has to be pressed to release the jack plug.

Could this be capable of driving a pair of headphones?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Looks like a 1/4" stereo locking jack socket, looped off the outputs.

Once inserted the red button has to be pressed to release the jack plug.

Could this be capable of driving a pair of headphones?

Yeah, could be. High impedance phones would probably be OK.

montesquieu Guest

Bril. I’ll get a 1/4in to rca adapter that should hopefully drive the sub.

I'm Lawrence.

Hey Tom glad you like it. I thought it must be designed for headphones but I tried a pair of high impedance Sennheisers and there wasn't much volume so I never really understood it. If it's connected directly to the output sockets as I think it was, I can't see how using this instead of RCA splitters would avoid the same ground loop, but I hope to be proved wrong.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Just an observation, but why would you have a socket to plug in headphones round the back of a bit of kit?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Just an observation, but why would you have a socket to plug in headphones round the back of a bit of kit?
    Didn't Cyrus or someone similar also do that?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Because there wasn't one on the front?
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Didn't Cyrus or someone similar also do that?

My Claymore mk2 has one on the rear as well

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Hey Tom glad you like it. I thought it must be designed for headphones but I tried a pair of high impedance Sennheisers and there wasn't much volume so I never really understood it. If it's connected directly to the output sockets as I think it was, I can't see how using this instead of RCA splitters would avoid the same ground loop, but I hope to be proved wrong.

It's a lovely thing Lawrence, I tried it in the main rig and while to be fair it's not quite there with the EAR 912, it gave a good account of itself and was extremely musical with good timing, rich timbre and a nice way with acoustic space.

It's not a gain monster though and I can see how it might struggle with some headphones. I've ordered up the right bits and we'll see whether there's sufficient to drive the sub. For the price of less than a tenner's worth of bits it's got to be worth a try, ground loop notwithstanding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast