+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted....dac for transport

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I have yet to hear any DVD player outperform a dedicated CD player, transport so I am not that surprised you are feeling underwhelmed. Being frank unless you have deep pockets I would suggest an all in one player and not pursue the separates route. Others mileage will vary of course.
    I recently bought an Arcam DVD 27A (£2k when new in 2003) for CD playing and it was a very very good analogue sounding player via RCA into my amp but it wasn't any better in my system playing it from the digital out through a Caiman SEG so I moved it on and I'm now looking at a streamer/ripper solution hooked up to the SEG.

I'm Dee.

Hi Tony,that’s just the sort of trial I’d like to undertake..the Denon is,in my opinion,quite musical..not the last word as such but definitely capable of reproducing a decent analogue sound.I still want to experiment with a dac or two for my own personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I recently bought an Arcam DVD 27A (£2k when new in 2003) for CD playing and it was a very very good analogue sounding player via RCA into my amp but it wasn't any better in my system playing it from the digital out through a Caiman SEG so I moved it on and I'm now looking at a streamer/ripper solution hooked up to the SEG.
    System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The DVD 3910 is an all in one player ...
    Its a DVD player first, everything else is secondary to playing movies and digital surround sound. It is not a dedicated CD player. I have played with one back in the day and it bigger brothers, excellent DVD players, poor CD players, and that includes their use as transports.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dee.

Have been using the Denon all weekend and it is a very musical player especially when I pair it with the Audio Alchemy Ditb.For £50 I cant think of a better transport that plays nearly every cd format including
    Sacd...and is no slouch when it comes to playing DVDs either.Ive narrowed my choice of dacs down to the
    Topping D30 or the Caiman seg.....Anybody got a Topping they want to move on...?

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Geoff.

The Audio Alchemy 'Digital Decoding Engine' DAC is a good step up from the DITB. There's one on ebay at the moment.

I'm Grant.

Think my aa is a decoding engine. It certainly sounded good last time I used it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Audio Alchemy 'Digital Decoding Engine' DAC is a good step up from the DITB. There's one on ebay at the moment.
    Any idea how the Digital Decoding Engine compares against either the Caiman Seg or Toppings D30...I do like the Audio Alchemy products....I have a Vac in the box plus 2 spare Ditb that all work perfectly but unfortunately need power supplies.

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    Any idea how the Digital Decoding Engine compares against either the Caiman Seg or Toppings D30...I do like the Audio Alchemy products....I have a Vac in the box plus 2 spare Ditb that all work perfectly but unfortunately need power supplies.
    Not done the comparison. It is definitely better than the DITB though.

What's to lose? Buy it, try it and keep it if you like it (you probably will) or sell it on for the same money. Or even a bit more. Personally I think the asking price is cheap.

I'm Grant.

different products tbh and very much a different sound. my decoding engine if anything is slightly brighter than the usual, but not to its detriment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dee.

Hi Geoff..sage words indeed...I made an offer to the seller on Ebay ..they agreed...I paid ...and one Digital Decoding Engine
    should be winging its way to me.Hopefully it will arrive for the weekend and I can audition it properly.Will post how I get on ... Thanks..Dee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast