+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Magnet recommendations required

I'm steve.

Default Moving Magnet recommendations required

For around £120 the Nagaoka MP110 is hard to beat, it’s got a good solid sound from top to bottom of the frequency range and it’s a very good tracker and not arm fussy.
    If you fancy a little more incisive treble the MP150 at around £200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Steve, since you specifically mention meatier bass and mid, then I would suggest looking at something like a Goldring 1042 or 1022. I have the latter, and have compared it with an Ortofon 2M Bronze on a Rega arm, and the 1022 was far more punchy, dynamic, full-bodied. Excellent bass drive and nice rich mids. The Bronze was also excellent, but quite different - more detailed, delicate, light-footed, quick. More air and ambiance than the Goldring, which was more forward and direct.

Both are excellent, but I think the Goldring fits your description better. Let me know if you need more feedback on either.

Svend
    As it happens, I had been considering the 1042 because of fond memories of my first turntable and the Goldring fitted to it.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Svend.

Steve - for a bit more insight, I tried the 1022 with a Rega RB300 arm, which is lower mass than your Jelco. It sounded great. Compliance-wise the Jelco should be an even better match.

For most of the music that I presently have in my vinyl collection (jazz and rock), the Goldring sounded far better than the 2M Bronze. I'm sure if I had mostly classical or easy-going acoustic I might have preferred the lighter touch of the Bronze. But for straight-ahead driving jazz and rock, the Goldring is brilliant.

Apparently the 1042 is even better yet than the 1022. Great cartridges!

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaal View Post
    Technics EPC 205 is supposed to be the best. Then you have the rest of the family. EPC 206, EPC 207 and EPC 270c. They are not in production any more, but can be found as used. I have the EPC 207 and EPC 270c. I am happy with both, but happiest with the 207 on my Lenco L75. They fit the arm,, and my ears very well.
    I think there's an article in one of this month hifi mag, certainly worth a look.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

The 2M Black is superb but the total anal faff of set up led me to sell mine, twice.

The AN IQ3 is 99% as good as the Black, without the faff and a bit more as you are looking for in the mids.

A bit of an off the wall suggestion, an ADC with a PSX-40 stylus. Sounds really really great to these ears.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Folks I’m looking for a MM recommendation to complement, or perhaps provide a contrast to my AT33EV

I do like the AT33EV but sometimes I wish for something with a slightly more ‘meaty’ midrange and bass.

As I have a Jelco 750 with detachable headshell I don’t see why I can’t have both!

Budget is flexible up to about £400
    Hi Twelvebears, I am selling a Linn Adikt with fewer than 100 hours on it. I used it in an Akito and found the bass good but moved to moving coil recently. Was keeping it as a spare but seems a waste. Asking £210 posted so in budget.PM me if you are interested.
    Analogue: Linn LP12/Keel/Karmen/Karousel/Tranquility/Radikal/Trampolin 2/Collaro mat/Ekos SE/Audio Technica ART-1000 into Gold Note PH-10/PSU-10

Digital: Cyrus CD XT Signature into Border Patrol SE DAC

Amplification: Modwright LS36.5 pre into Modwright KW150SE

Speakers: Boenicke W8

Interconnects: Reference Fidelity Saturn and Oriton Orange Symphony

Speaker Cabling: Townshend Isolda

Headphones HD600

Mains: Various MCRU kits/Russ Andrews Power Cords/X Block

RCM: Velvet Vortex Ultrasonic

I'm Mike.

This thread is of academic (at present) interest to me as I've mounted an old VMS 20E mark 2 which I've had lying around for yonks. Quite amazed at the performance, compared to the Koetsus, Benzes, Transfig's and Lyras I've been used to. It's also in a 14/15 gramme mass 12" unipivot which can't make for good synergy.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    This thread is of academic (at present) interest to me as I've mounted an old VMS 20E mark 2 which I've had lying around for yonks. Quite amazed at the performance, compared to the Koetsus, Benzes, Transfig's and Lyras I've been used to. It's also in a 14/15 gramme mass 12" unipivot which can't make for good synergy.
    Have a look on ebay for a VMS30 Mk2 stylus the bodies are the same on to 20 and 30 and you will see an improvement in sound.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Johan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I think there's an article in one of this month hifi mag, certainly worth a look.
    Which magazine? Can i find it om the net?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaal View Post
    Technics EPC 205 is supposed to be the best. Then you have the rest of the family. EPC 206, EPC 207 and EPC 270c. They are not in production any more, but can be found as used. I have the EPC 207 and EPC 270c. I am happy with both, but happiest with the 207 on my Lenco L75. They fit the arm,, and my ears very well.
    Why would you want to go putting ideas like that in my head, got me thinking about a technics cart now. What compliance are they, I use a stax 12" arm.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast