+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Magnet recommendations required

I'm Steve.

Default Moving Magnet recommendations required

Folks I’m looking for a MM recommendation to complement, or perhaps provide a contrast to my AT33EV

I do like the AT33EV but sometimes I wish for something with a slightly more ‘meaty’ midrange and bass.

As I have a Jelco 750 with detachable headshell I don’t see why I can’t have both!

Budget is flexible up to about £400
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Mick.

If you want a cart that gives true detail and hides nothing the Ortofon 2m Black is an amazing option. If your vinyl isn't in mint condition it will show the imperfections. Other options are the 2M Blue or Bronze that are a cheaper option and and more value for money. All carts work very well with the Jelco arm
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Grant.

Default Moving Magnet recommendations required

Meaty eh. Marco will be along shortly. Lol

Maybe a nice shure m55 with a nos stylus
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Another vote for the 2M Black, excellent cartridge.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm richard.

I'm a big fan of Goldring carts. I have a 2500 fitted to my Pro-ject Classic (wish I could update my sig), and really gives the table a boost.

Although majoring on detail, I'm also a fan of ClearAudio cartridges such as Performer cartridge, which is under budget.

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product...2+mm+cartridge
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Hugo.

I'm Nari.

The Grado Reference Platinum Wood 2 Phono Cartridge is a fine cartridge under powerful with great bass £400, I find the audio technica cartridges a little lean and clinical over your budget the Nagoaka MP500 is a lovely cartridge very dynamic and open the grado maybe be a bit less open but has solid bass and powerful midrange. Pitty there cartridges like the shure ultra 500 and audio technica 170 and 180 ML don't exist anymore in the 90s there were some lovely sweet sounding cartridges available.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Another vote for the 2M Black, excellent cartridge.
    +1 Excellent is the word, the best or at least one of the best mm's in my view, a stellar cart.

Spent good time with the 2MB and it was the cart that really made me know what could be achieved in terms of hifi / vinyl replay.

Its Shibata stylus profile requires careful, accurate / meticulous set up. Which can be a faff but you'll forget the pain once you've nailed it / found the sweet-spot - big smiles
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

setting the vta on a 2m black is rather reminiscent of a tour of duty in Vietnam!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    setting the vta on a 2m black is rather reminiscent of a tour of duty in Vietnam!
    Whenever I had to go there / re-visit set up was torture ! Fatiguing and takes a lot of time and care. Not easy to nail quickly.

I found the same with the Shibata-Quintet Black and my current Shibata-Cadenza Black.

I knocked mine out of sweetspot by catching the anti skate with the carbon fibre brush a while back - could have cried. Tried on and off for ages to nail it still havnt and now my system has been switched off for the past month due to kitchen build work and other priorities around the house

I can never seem to clock up any decent hours of listening on my system with one thing or the other which is a big bug bare that I hope one day will change
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast