+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Moving Magnet recommendations required

I'm Paul.

Haven't read the whole thread but don't dismiss whichever Nagaoka fits your budget. Mp300 probably, but been a fan since the mp50 back at the beginning of th 80s. They've got more expensive over the years but still worth a look.

I'm Lori.

Hello....I locate that more established records appear to sound better with a MM set-up, yet it's actually a matter of taste. The moving magnet cartridges are less "breezy" than moving curl plans which likewise implies that they are less inclined to replicate surface commotion. I locate that "breezy" nature of moving loop plans to be less practical than an appropriately set-up Shure cartridge. Once more, there's framework cooperative energy to consider. Now and again what a phono playback framework requires is not so much detail but rather more of the general gestalt of the exhibition.

I use my old A&RP77, retipped with a Shure Hyper Elliptical tip in my Ittok LVIII. Also my retipper mate has played with the magnet and the suspension to max out the output into my valve phono. He believes there is a magic G point in MM cartridges, too and they´re all different as well, you just have to search for it. I have just had a second virtually unused P77 retipped so I´m set up for good. By the way, he asked me if he could keep the Weiss Paroc original tip from the P77 ´cos he was going to fit it to his own Koetsu - a much better match, he assured me. I´m not complaining. My Esco Troika is in its box along with my Hagerman head amp. Less air and fewer stereo surprises maybe but more meat to it and big, big wall of sound effect which goes down well with this far from pristine lug of mine (Yes, that´s singular, I´m afraid).

I'm John.

Any advice on a cartridge to go with a clearaudio on my new Marantz TT-15S1 when it arrives. The Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM Cart is supposed to be very good so I'll obviously try that first and give it some time. Interested to see how it stacks up against the Ortofon Quintet Bronze on my Project Perspex 6 SB.

My Big Bottle Phonostage does not have MM facility as far as I'm aware so that may have to change.

Any advice appreciated chaps.

I'm off on a bit of a voyage of discovery again. Let the fun begin.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Kevin.

Is the Virtuoso V2 stll AT95 based?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Adrian.

Try one of these, I have one and am very impressed, lots of detail, bass and mids are very good, I am comparing it to a Benz Micro LP-S MC and the difference in detail and soundstage between to two is actually not that great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldring-GL...2167515&sr=8-3
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Is the Virtuoso V2 stll AT95 based?
    Yes it is. I've been reading a bit and its an interesting cartridge with humble roots. I will try it and see what I think. I'm sure it will be a keeper as I'd like to build a small collection of carts going forward.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    Yes it is. I've been reading a bit and its an interesting cartridge with humble roots. I will try it and see what I think. I'm sure it will be a keeper as I'd like to build a small collection of carts going forward.
    If you are buying new, then I would suggest you try the AT VM95ML or SA. It will probably get very close to the ClearAudio at a fraction of the cost.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I use my old A&RP77, retipped with a Shure Hyper Elliptical tip in my Ittok LVIII. Also my retipper mate has played with the magnet and the suspension to max out the output into my valve phono. He believes there is a magic G point in MM cartridges, too and they´re all different as well, you just have to search for it. I have just had a second virtually unused P77 retipped so I´m set up for good. By the way, he asked me if he could keep the Weiss Paroc original tip from the P77 ´cos he was going to fit it to his own Koetsu - a much better match, he assured me. I´m not complaining. My Esco Troika is in its box along with my Hagerman head amp. Less air and fewer stereo surprises maybe but more meat to it and big, big wall of sound effect which goes down well with this far from pristine lug of mine (Yes, that´s singular, I´m afraid).
    I just bought one of these with along with a Mayware tonearm, came with a spare stylus too.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    Any advice on a cartridge to go with a clearaudio on my new Marantz TT-15S1 when it arrives. The Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM Cart is supposed to be very good so I'll obviously try that first and give it some time. Interested to see how it stacks up against the Ortofon Quintet Bronze on my Project Perspex 6 SB.

My Big Bottle Phonostage does not have MM facility as far as I'm aware so that may have to change.

Any advice appreciated chaps.

I'm off on a bit of a voyage of discovery again. Let the fun begin.
    Well that all changed quickly. The supplier contacted me to say they could not guarantee a delivery date due to COVID and it would be a month at the earliest but not definite.

Had a think and cancelled as that is just too wishy washy for me.

Then found a Technics SL150 for a good price so decided to give that a whirl. It will definitely enable me to try different carts with the SME3009 arm thats fitted.

I've also never tried a direct drive deck before amzingly so that will be interesting. I might even keep the Project Perspex 6 SB and run a belt drive and a direct for a while.

No cart on the Technics so thats the next decision to make.

I also only have a MC facility on my Big Bottle Phonostage so thats aanother thing to ponder. Do I get another phono stage or do I go MC on the Technics.

Decisions, decisions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast