+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Roon users?

I'm Richard.

I have every format you could mention. The vast majority of it is FLAC ripped from my CD collection, but having been building up a digital collection for nigh on 20 years or so now (wow, that makes me feel old) there's everything from MP3 to DSD and MQA in there, so it's not the format the music is stored in that's the problem.
    I have been doing a bit of experimenting this last week or so with the Pi and replaced the Roon bridge SD card with one running Volumio where I then attached a backup hard drive with all of my music on and played directly from there - That sounds really great. Tellingly, I also tried mounting the drive the music is stored on via the NAS setup of Volumio so that it's playing over the network as Roon does, and that went back to sounding lifeless again - so I'd say that it has to be either the network or the server but given that playing via Spotify Connect or internet radio sounds great, that points the finger quite solidly towards the server for me. Time to start a bit of server tweaking I think.
    I also have an old Mac Mini that's not doing anything these days, so I could try installing Roon Server on that and see if it sounds any different...
    Rich

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Time to start a bit of server tweaking I think.
    I also have an old Mac Mini that's not doing anything these days, so I could try installing Roon Server on that and see if it sounds any different...
    I have worked in IT since 1983, and unfortunately I believe this is one of the major problems with digital currently, firstly the original compression level and then what is done along the way with it and finally what the DAC does when reconstructing it. Any deficiency along the path will cause possible degradation issues.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Edward.

Word on the street is that Roon may soon be releasing an update that allows for remote usage. In other words to be able to roam outside one's connected LAN and still be able to get to the Roon library. No details as to how it will work has been given. I hope it is not vaporware.

Remote roaming has been something that JRiver has had for a long time and works very well. Being able to access my music from 10,000 miles away was stunning.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Word on the street
    What is this street word you rap of Bro?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mark.

well Plex have been doing it successfully for ages, Roon would be awesome

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Word on the street is that Roon may soon be releasing an update that allows for remote usage. In other words to be able to roam outside one's connected LAN and still be able to get to the Roon library. No details as to how it will work has been given. I hope it is not vaporware.

Remote roaming has been something that JRiver has had for a long time and works very well. Being able to access my music from 10,000 miles away was stunning.

§
    I have to say that would be mighty attractive!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    What is this street word you rap of Bro?
    Seems that you are speaking some strange lingo so I will reply in Shakespearen.

Good morrow mateth, thee needeth to receiveth down to the bars and clubs to heareth the w'rd on the street. Th're is nay oth'r way. Unless thee visiteth the relevant f'rum.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
    well Plex have been doing it successfully for ages, Roon would be awesome
    Indeed. I'm often hassled by my daughter to put on some vid or another on the Plex server so she can watch it in Sydney, Oz

I'm Grant.

never could understand plex. never got a peep out of the trial... dumb i guess
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    never could understand plex. never got a peep out of the trial... dumb i guess
    Trial? It is free. You can buy their pass but unless you are in the USA the added features are pretty much useless.

I've not explored it for bit perfect audio streaming, but for videos it is awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast