+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tuner reception ? ( confused )

I'm Andrew.

Default Tuner reception ? ( confused )

I am always listening to the radio whether working or at home , at home I use my Luxman T88v which has the screw type aerial connections on the back ( earth/75ohm/300ohm) I have the cheap dipole ribbon type aerial ( don’t laugh ) which believe it or not sounds fine but it has never shown more than 1 on the level meter which goes up to 5, now here’s the thing... When moving the aerial yesterday it broke so I thought I would use some speaker cable temporarily , this did the same job as the aerial until the earth connection came off then suddenly the meter shoots up to 4 !! BUT !!! It does not sound as good as before ? It is a clear signal with no interference but it’s just flat with no image or depth, What is going on ?
    I was going to get a loft aerial and install it all correctly but it seems that the better the signal the worse it sounds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The cable you have used will not have the appropriate impedance in the 88-108MHz band.
    It will not work as an effective aerial.

A proper FM aerial in the loft (I'm assuming you're not permitted to have an external aerial with you being in MK), with 75Ω cabling to your tuner will perform properly and give you decent signal. You might need a balun to go on the tuner end.
    Failing that, replace the dipole one you've broken - it's not going to be better than the loft aerial scenario, but it has served you well to date.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The cable you have used will not have the appropriate impedance in the 88-108MHz band.
    It will not work as an effective aerial.

A proper FM aerial in the loft (I'm assuming you're not permitted to have an external aerial with you being in MK), with 75Ω cabling to your tuner will perform properly and give you decent signal. You might need a balun to go on the tuner end.
    Failing that, replace the dipole one you've broken - it's not going to be better than the loft aerial scenario, but it has served you well to date.
    I will install one as advised, cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread