+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IC/WANTED Valve phono stage.

I'm Nat.

Default IC/WANTED Valve phono stage.

Only an interest check at the moment but in the next month or so I intend on buying a valve phono stage to go with the lenco GL75 I will get to sit in the lovely plinth I’m getting.

This will eventually be the front end of a Reggae system I’m building for my spare room. Any suggestions for the amp must be Valve and either be pre/power or int’ but must have tone controls.

I'm Alan.

I think you are going to have to go really old school to find a valve preamp with tone controls.
    Good luck.

I'm Lawrence.

Some of the new Chinese stuff has tone controls, have a look on eBay.

montesquieu Guest

This is what you want, very rare outside of the US though https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HH-Scott-...mplifier&rt=nc

I'm Nat.

That Scott looks like a beautiful pre amp possibly a little bit too expensive when taking into account postage but a lovely thing.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    That Scott looks like a beautiful pre amp possibly a little bit too expensive when taking into account postage but a lovely thing.
    Actually it's an integrated, allegedly with 48w out though hard to see that when the 7189 has similar-ish output capability as an EL84. My guess is about 15 genuine watts in push pull per channel. 11 tubes inside in total.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/scott_...ter_222_d.html

I'm Nick.

My suggestion would be to get an EAR 834p, the one with gain control on the front. It's a great valve phono-stage and you can use it as a pre-amp straight into a power amp as it has a volume control on the front. Then you could put a passive EQ inbetween if needed, but tbh the SQ from the 834 should be sufficient that you won't want to be messing with the bass or whatever. I have tone controls on the front of my McIntosh amp but once I got the system sounding good I left them all flat and never touched them again.

I'm John.

There's a lovely Icon Audio PS1.2 sitting on fleabay at the moment, that would be well worth keeping an eye on, again it has a volume control so can go direct to a Power amp.

I'm Nat.

Thanks everyone really good advice.

I'm Lawrence.

Check this out, old school tone controls

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...ve-amp.218183/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast