+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The NAD is dead! Long live the Marantz!

I'm gone.

That lovely NAD M2 dead? Ouch.
    Must admit that had been on my Want List from when I heard of your enthusiasm for it, Steve.
    No longer!

How does the Marantz compare? It does look a serious beast.

I'm Mike.

The problem is surface mount, easy for a machine to populate but hard for a human, rule of thumb any surface mount pcb is designed to disposed of in the event of failure rather than repaired. i am surprised that NAD don't carry any spare parts though, although again this goes back to my point about about parts designed to be chucked away when they go wrong, maybe anything that went wrong while under warranty was just replaced, it sounds stupid especially if the equipment is high end, but their thinking would be it's cheaper just to replace everything that comes back under warranty than go to the expense of a repair centre which costs money to run regardless of there being anything to fix. Legally they are covered and would have probably had units not for sale but in stock to cover warranty issues up to about 3 years after the product went EOL. Not great for you Steve, although you would expect a company wanting to keep customers and build customer relations would offer you something to keep you sweet, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    That lovely NAD M2 dead? Ouch.
    Must admit that had been on my Want List from when I heard of your enthusiasm for it, Steve.
    No longer!

How does the Marantz compare? It does look a serious beast.
    Hi Jerry, hope you’re keeping well.

The PM-11 is a cracker actually and it’s making me feel better about the loss of the M2 (which was disgraceful from such a long established brand as NAD).

It’s got a lovely deep soundstage, definitely doesn’t push things as far forward as the M2 did, and has real grunt - definitely very conservatively rated power-wise.

The bomb proof build is what attracted me - real hi-end Japanese stuff. Plus has a very respectable phono stage, so much so that I’m probably going to let my MF LP2 stage go.

I’ve got a second hand MF MX-DAC pulling digital duties and I’m really enjoying things at the moment
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Thanks Jack. Yes this has been a painful lesson for me. As you say, once the main board became unavailable, the M2 was basically on borrowed time.

I will never commit such an investment to anything which is not either repairable or comes with a lifetime warranty!
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Thanks Jack. Yes this has been a painful lesson for me. As you say, once the main board became unavailable, the M2 was basically on borrowed time.

I will never commit such an investment to anything which is not either repairable or comes with a lifetime warranty!
    I was talking to a colleague about high end audio repairs, he told me he sent the main board of an amp off to Japan to be repaired, he didn't tell me what amp it was but he did say it was surface mount parts that needed replacing, round trip was about 4 weeks, i'll try to find out who they are and let you know their contact details.

I'm Mike.

Alternatively you could give these a call http://www.retronix.com/services/pcb-services/

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Well it’s official. My very fancy, very expensive NAD M2 is officially dead and unrepairable.

After oh, about 7 years, a fault on the main board has consigned my M2 to the recycling bin. The board was no longer available from NAD and the complexity and surface mount nature of the board means a component level repair was impossible.

This has been a salient lesson for me in the potential issues of pure digital amps.

I’m am making myself feel better by enjoying sounds on a Marantz PM-11S1 which
    I picked up in minty condition for a very fair price.

It’s big, heavy, analog and makes the reassuring sound of clicking relays when I press buttons.

Going forward, DAC duties will be handled by something which won’t render me amp-less and crying over a massive financial loss if it goes tits-up.

If ever there was proof to me that something can be too clever for its own good, this was it.

Despite all that, it is good to be back chaps!
    I have just received an email from Nad, any device can be repaired they say?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Matt.

It is simply not realistic to expect any item to be eternally repairable. A relatively small company cannot be expected to keep every single spare part for every single model they ever produce.
    No one expects a tumble dryer or microwave to still work after 30 years, cars need servicing, upkeep, consumables replaced etc to last a lifetime, so Hifi also has a life expectancy.
    However, seven years is a blooming poor show, especially a flagship model.
    If it was me, unless I received at least a decent goodwill gesture from a company in this situation, I would hardly be a loyal returning customer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12