+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NAD is dead! Long live the Marantz!

I'm Steve.

Default The NAD is dead! Long live the Marantz!

Well it’s official. My very fancy, very expensive NAD M2 is officially dead and unrepairable.

After oh, about 7 years, a fault on the main board has consigned my M2 to the recycling bin. The board was no longer available from NAD and the complexity and surface mount nature of the board means a component level repair was impossible.

This has been a salient lesson for me in the potential issues of pure digital amps.

I’m am making myself feel better by enjoying sounds on a Marantz PM-11S1 which
    I picked up in minty condition for a very fair price.

It’s big, heavy, analog and makes the reassuring sound of clicking relays when I press buttons.

Going forward, DAC duties will be handled by something which won’t render me amp-less and crying over a massive financial loss if it goes tits-up.

If ever there was proof to me that something can be too clever for its own good, this was it.

Despite all that, it is good to be back chaps!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-08-2018 at 20:32.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Geoff.

Do you want me to change that title to Marantz?

I'm Steve.

Good grief! Yes please! (thanks)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Well it’s official. My very fancy, very expensive NAD M2 is officially dead and unrepairable.

After oh, about 7 years, a fault on the main board has consigned my M2 to the recycling bin. The board was no longer available from NAD and the complexity and surface mount nature of the board means a component level repair was impossible.

This has been a salient lesson for me in the potential issues of pure digital amps.

It’s big, heavy, analog and makes the reassuring sound of clicking relays when I press buttons.

Going forward, DAC duties will be handled by something which won’t render me amp-less and crying over a massive financial loss if it goes tits-up.

If ever there was proof to me that something can be too clever for its own good, this was it.

I heard the NAD M2 a few years back and thought is sounded great. What a shame this has happened. Sometimes old technology comes up trumps.

I'm Geoff.

Good grief! Yes please! (thanks)
    No sooner said than done!

I'm James.

7years old and unrepairable that's rubbish and no mistake
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

The Marantz PM-11S1 looks like a pretty serious amplifier. https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...nnections.html
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

You expect kettles and toasters to be disposable, but not a high end component from a company that ought to know better. NAD should have sorted you as a goodwill gesture.

When the Valhalla packed up on an LP12 I'd bought secondhand, Linn replaced it FOC, even though I wasn't the original purchaser, and the deck was waaay out of warranty.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You expect kettles and toasters to be disposable, but not a high end component from a company that ought to know better. NAD should have sorted you as a goodwill gesture.

When the Valhalla packed up on an LP12 I'd bought secondhand, Linn replaced it FOC, even though I wasn't the original purchaser, and the deck was waaay out of warranty.
    Yep it’s very disappointing. I have written to the Lenbrook Group CEO expressing my feelings that flagship product is beyond repair after just 7 years of introduction.... I’m not holding my breath.

In the meantime the PM-11 is a bulletproof beauty which sounds great playing The B-52s - The B-52s on vinyl.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. You never know.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast