+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad 44 Preamp - Is it worth keeping and upgrading

I'm Lee.

Default Quad 44 Preamp - Is it worth keeping and upgrading

Hi,

I have a Quad 44 which I bought a couple of years ago. It's all standard and a mark II version according to the Dada Electronics website.

I have been doing some reading regarding the Quad 44 and I am unsure about the real potential of this preamp and whether I should invest some money in it before using it, or just sell it and put the money into something else.

I am also thinking about having a passive preamp made by BTE Designs as well, so have to decide on which to do first.

Either amp would feed into a Quad 606 MK1 power amp, which I bought earlier this year and immediately sent to Quad for a service, and they also upgraded the PSU to 909 spec.

I am aware that there is the DIY route with DADA Electronics
    Quad 44 MKII DIY Upgrade and Revision kit Deluxe
    http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/q...eluxe-opa604-1

I would have to get someone to do the soldering and upgrading for me

Redhill Audio
    QUAD 44 PREAMP UPGRADE - STAGE 1
    Elna Cerafine audio-grade electrolytic capacitors
    Additional, high-quality Panasonic PPS film capacitor decoupling added to remove noise from critical areas
    Solid Film MKS signal path capacitors
    Unnecessary signal path capacitors bypassed for reduced grain and a cleaner sound
    A well chosen blend ofLME49710NA/LM4562NA National Semi & Texas Instruments Op amps for better refinement and improved detail

http://redhillaudio.co.uk/hifi-upgra...pgrade-stage-1

QUAD 44 PREAMP UPGRADE - STAGE 2
    Increased capacity Low-ESR Power Supply Capacitors
    Output signal path capacitors upgraded to solid film types
    Elna Cerafine Decoupling capacitors
    LME49710 & TI/National Semi Opamps
    Panasonic PPS Bypass Capacitors
    2 x Red Hill Audio Mini-Shunt Voltage Regulators +/-15v
    Signal Path Improved with Audio Wire "Silver Signal"

http://redhillaudio.co.uk/hifi-upgra...pgrade-stage-2

Amplabs who do upgrades as well.
    http://www.amp-labs.co.uk/q44fs-a.htm
    Rob from Amplabs serviced and upgraded a Quad 303 that I bought a couple of years ago
    http://www.amp-labs.co.uk/servicing.htm
    He originally serviced a Yamaha CR1000 for me which I stupidly sold a couple of years ago but he only works on Quad now I think.

I have read online that the Quad 44 suffers from the 4066 CMOS Chip which was originally designed for and used in the Plessey System X Telephone exchanges, and is naturally bandwidth limited.
    Other issues include the use of the Op-Amp TL071 as was used in the 405 power amp.

With the modular design and ability to have different boards the Quad 44 could be quite an asset if it sounds any good. Are the MM and MC cards any good or able to be upgraded to anything worthwhile?

Any advice, thoughts or experience much appreciated

Thanks

Lee
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Geoff.

Whether the 44 is worth spending money on depends on your expectations and reasons for doing so.

In my book the only reason for keeping a standard one is to aesthetically match a Quad power amp as I don't rate the sound from the 44 or 34, I find them bland.

If there are upgrades available to improve the sound it may be worth looking into, but I'd certainly not put hundreds of pounds into one. I think the money would be best put towards a better sounding pre-amp.

If you're interested, the Promitheus TVC pre-amp sounds very good with Quad power amps. I'm using one.

I'm Simon.

It's a great looking bit of kit, sell it still original and spend on a new pre.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Chris.

The design of the 44 is quite attractive, sadly the sound quality is not the best, as walpurgis says bland

My own I improved its op amps to better ones, it was still not as good as I needed. I am presently converting it to
    a passive LDR- other than its phono stage that remains active.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's true the Plessey CMOS switch chips were designed for System-X telephone exchanges, but that is not to say that it follows they are bandwidth limited. If they were Quad 44 would not have a full 20kHz audio bandwidth. There is not a lot wrong with the TL071 op-amps either, though they can easily be replaced with Burr Brown alternatives if required.

The best version is the later grey livery (with grey buttons) one that has the +/-3dB 'tilt' option, an additional bass cut setting and removal of the 'cancel' LED indicator. There were some other minor changes: the fitting of improved IEC sockets requiring the use of shrouded IEC plugs.

The most important revision was the first with a redesign of the motherboard.

If you can upgrade the components yourself it might be worthwhile, but I would agree with Geoff that if it is going to cost a couple of hundred pounds to have this work done for you, the money would be better spent elsewhere.

If your source is 'line level', I would consider a passive volume control to use with your 405.

The Quad 44 is a highly versatile preamp but is not, and never has been, 'state of the art'.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It's funny. There's somebody on Lenco Heaven asking exactly the same sort of questions about the Quad 44.

I'm Graham.

I would only do it if you want an all quad matching system.

I have a late grey RCA 34 upgraded by fidele audio and while it is definitely better, it doesn't have the clarity that a good passive can bring. Having said that, my modded 34, Quad serviced grey RCA 405-2 sounds lovely into Rogers ls1, ls6 and tannoy hpd speakers and is a pleasure to use. I use it for hours most day in my office system and it has a gorgeous unfatiguing tone.

I would think twice about investing the money in the din versions, u have owned both and the rca versions are just easier to live with and more appealing if you want to sell them.

Btw, after a few years away, Fidele are back in the business of modding quads, they made an.amazing job of replacing the many chips caps etc on my 34, it looks very professional not the usual modded lash up.
    regards,

Graham

+ Reply to Thread