+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor standing speakers w/ Rotel RA1572?

I'm Daniel.

Default Floor standing speakers w/ Rotel RA1572?

Looking for recommendation for floor standing passive speakers with a Rotel 1572 for audio-only (no AV/TV) in a 4000 cubic foot room. ~$1-2K/pair range, strongly consider a 2.1 set-up with a sub (separate consideration/budget). I currently look at Martin Logan Motion 20, but there certainly is more out there.

I'm Martin.

£2k will fetch you some decent s/h Tannoy dual concentrics. Some Radford monitors still in the classifieds here I think, they would work well. Also some big Focals there as well that are worth a look. Decent sized space so you've got a lot of options, I wouldn't go for the Logan/sub combo myself, you've got the room and budget to get something a lot more accomplished if you don't mind second hand.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm richard.

I know this sounds a bit obvious. But... B&W speakers IMHO work brilliantly with Rotel. They're not technically the greatest speaker but because they were produced at the same S. Coast factory as Rotel, the synergy is excellent IMO.

IIRC B&W was the main distribution centre for Rotel.

Of course, I would always recommend a dem rather than taking my word before parting with any of your hard-earned money.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
    I know this sounds a bit obvious. But... B&W speakers IMHO work brilliantly with Rotel. They're not technically the greatest speaker but because they were produced at the same S. Coast factory as Rotel, the synergy is excellent IMO.

IIRC B&W was the main distribution centre for Rotel.

Of course, I would always recommend a dem rather than taking my word before parting with any of your hard-earned money.
    Not quite sure what you mean? Rotel is a Japanese company, the 1572 is manufactured in China, not on the south coast of the UK!
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Martin.

I think Rotel are Taiwanese.

The thing about Rotels is that some can swing current and some can't and if you want to use them with B&W speakers you want the one of those that can.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

A few years ago, at a Sound & Vision show at Renaissance Hotel in Manchester, the Rotel room had their stuff running with B&W. I'd agree about the synergy thing - the speakers were the wallet friendly DM685 standmounts and the sound to me was way beyond what you would expect for the money.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean? Rotel is a Japanese company, the 1572 is manufactured in China, not on the south coast of the UK!
    I know they are Japanese and built elsewhere, but the UK distribution for Rotel amps/CDPs/streamers is/was based at B&W in Worthing Sussex. B&W tweaked their speakers to match Rotel's tonal qualities.

Years ago, when I had a Rotel RCD 975, I contacted B&W to ask about fixing the laser. They quoted me for genuine Rotel parts, but decided against it as it was cheaper - more sensible - to buy a replacement.

It's like PMC speaker company used to be the UK outlet for Bryston amps and CDPs. Bryston are made and assembled in Canada but distributed in the UK by PMC. You can also add Marantz and Mordaunt Short blah blah blah...

EDIT - Just checked and Rotel and B&W are still based in the same buildings in Worthing.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/contact_us

http://www.rotel.com/en-gb/contact-us

Scroll down the links.
    Last edited by plastic penguin; 11-08-2018 at 00:51.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Daniel.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went to Bestbuy today (I know, not high end, but available), and listened to ML Motion 20, 40, one of the Electro motion series (ESL?), and also Bowers and Wilkins 683S2. My first experience in trying a bit better audio fare.

I was surprised about the difference between Motion 20 and 40, the 40 being much clearer throughout. The Electro motion worked very well with singer-songwriter music, but only in the perfect equilateral triangle listening spot, and were much worse than the Motion 20/40 with electronica. The B&W 683 S2 were even cleaner than the Motion 40 across genres (singer songwriter, AC/DC, electronica, classical orchestral), and also seem to have a wider acceptable listening area. Bass seemed to be sufficient "out of the box". Specs say 30Hz at -6 db and 52Hz @+-3db. I have a Paradigm PDR8 sitting around (handmedown), so may hook it up and see what it will do.

I've also seen B&W being owned by the same parent company as Rotel, so there may be some positive synergy going on. Not betting too much on it, but a nice thought. (or just marketing).

Haven't heard Focal yet, hopefully tomorrow morning I will get a bit more exposure at a local high end place.

Cheers/Ta!

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Exophile View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went to Bestbuy today (I know, not high end, but available), and listened to ML Motion 20, 40, one of the Electro motion series (ESL?), and also Bowers and Wilkins 683S2. My first experience in trying a bit better audio fare.

I was surprised about the difference between Motion 20 and 40, the 40 being much clearer throughout. The Electro motion worked very well with singer-songwriter music, but only in the perfect equilateral triangle listening spot, and were much worse than the Motion 20/40 with electronica. The B&W 683 S2 were even cleaner than the Motion 40 across genres (singer songwriter, AC/DC, electronica, classical orchestral), and also seem to have a wider acceptable listening area. Bass seemed to be sufficient "out of the box". Specs say 30Hz at -6 db and 52Hz @+-3db. I have a Paradigm PDR8 sitting around (handmedown), so may hook it up and see what it will do.

I've also seen B&W being owned by the same parent company as Rotel, so there may be some positive synergy going on. Not betting too much on it, but a nice thought. (or just marketing).

Haven't heard Focal yet, hopefully tomorrow morning I will get a bit more exposure at a local high end place.

Cheers/Ta!
    Martin Logan Electro Static speakers are available in the UK but I've not heard them. I know from experience that Rotel gear generally works well with Wharfedale and Dynaudio.

I would guess Focal might be too bright in the HFs for Rotel's tonal qualities.

Not sure of the availability of speakers in the US, but I would try and seek out Totem. Canadian based company there should be ample supply of Totem loudspeakers. Totem speakers are known for exquisite stereo imaging and timing.

https://totemacoustic.com/en/hi-fi

I'm Daniel.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I think for my 1.0 system, I will get something that I was able to listen to, as opposed to specs-sheet/reviews. Focal should be available, and the HF bias actually could work well with my preferences. We'll see about the others ...

Totem seems to be quite a bit pricier, so not in the running.
    Dynaudio has exactly one in the price range.
    Wharfedale has a bunch.
    No idea whether they will be available for a listen. Things to keep in mind for down the road ...

The electrostatic speakers had an amazing 3D imaging (I think that is the term?) for singer-songwriter, so lots of mid-tones, but with electronica they sounded muffled, because they don't seem to be able to handle strong higher frequencies. So it is a limited-tricks-pony, but does very well with that trick. I am looking more for an all-round speaker. Should handle medieval polyphonics, Biber (baroque), The Ex (punkish), Sleater Kinney (garage), Austra (indie), and Mittageisen (electronica).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast