+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marantz Pm4

I'm Andrew.

[QUOTE=Primare;1013522]Hello Andrew,

In most pictures of Marantz PM4 the 4 buttons in the middle are in black plastic.
    Did you change yours with aluminium ones or your amp came originally like this?
    Much better with aluminium knobs though.

Hi Ivo, I bought the amp with the silver buttons already fitted, usually if something I have isn’t original it drives me nuts but I have learned to live with it and like you I think they look better .
    I was going to try the buttons off a pioneer sa 500a which look similar but I’m not that bothered now.
    Imo the amp sounds even better than it looks. 👍🏻

I'm Guy.

As I recall this amp appeared as the baby of the Esotec series in the early 80's. But it was only when Ken Kessler reviewed it for HiFi News & eulogised the Class A performance & the general appearance of the amp that it became a cult item & the last remaining stock was quickly sold.

Soon afterwards Anthony Michaelson released the MF A1, I suspect as a response to the obvious appetite that existed for this type of product.

In the early 80's the £250 amp market was hotly contested between the likes of Audiolab, the Naim Nait, Myst TMA3 & various Creek & Arcam designs.

With the benefit of hindsight and having owned/heard most of the others I'd say the Pm4 was the best of the bunch, provided you had sufficiently sensitive speakers to do it justice. I still enjoy mine very much on those occasions I pull it out and use it.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    As I recall this amp appeared as the baby of the Esotec series in the early 80's. But it was only when Ken Kessler reviewed it for HiFi News & eulogised the Class A performance & the general appearance of the amp that it became a cult item & the last remaining stock was quickly sold.

Soon afterwards Anthony Michaelson released the MF A1, I suspect as a response to the obvious appetite that existed for this type of product.

In the early 80's the £250 amp market was hotly contested between the likes of Audiolab, the Naim Nait, Myst TMA3 & various Creek & Arcam designs.

With the benefit of hindsight and having owned/heard most of the others I'd say the Pm4 was the best of the bunch, provided you had sufficiently sensitive speakers to do it justice. I still enjoy mine very much on those occasions I pull it out and use it.
    Hi Guy, nice to know another Pm4 owner , I know of 5 owners now !
    This is my second Pm4 , I’ve probably had more than 20 other respectable amps come and go but none match it for looks and it’s sound, ( and heat !! )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    According to those specs the amp has a "dumping factor" of 70.
    Do you have to open the windows after a while?
    I think it’s the high damping factor that makes it so enjoyable, my ns1000m’s love it too .
    If anyone is curious about this amp you’re welcome to come and hear it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234