+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Utterly Ridiculous Prices being asked for GL 75s

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    It amazes me that a common or garden record player like the GL75, which I had in '64/5, should not only be coveted but spawn a forum ! It was okay, but way behind the 401, 301 and TD 124, the former of which I had later. The G75 (?) arm wasn't up to much, and the G88 (?) I had afterwards seemed a better deck, on which I put either an ADC wooden arm ?) or a Decca FF or International.

However, if you consider £500 + new as the base point for an acceptable deck, the old 60s stuff does look like good value.
    How much do you think it would cost to build a GL75 nowadays?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Simon.

Think my point was instead of paying the silly asking prices these days, you could buy something perfectly acceptable plug and play, without all the faff of new plinths, rebuilt motors, better bearings etc. I used to bin most of the parts from the ones I bought as all I wanted was the platter, bearing, idler arm/wheel and motor.
    Took to buying just these bits as it was way cheaper until you realise half the folks selling them were binning wee important parts like motor springs, idler arm post which became like Hen's teeth
    Last edited by Si74; 10-08-2018 at 18:04. Reason: senior moment

I'm Winston.

Default Still the best bang for the buck

Lenco: Still the best bang for the buck though!
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    It amazes me that a common or garden record player like the GL75, which I had in '64/5, should not only be coveted but spawn a forum ! It was okay, but way behind the 401, 301 and TD 124, the former of which I had later. The G75 (?) arm wasn't up to much, and the G88 (?) I had afterwards seemed a better deck, on which I put either an ADC wooden arm ?) or a Decca FF or International.

However, if you consider £500 + new as the base point for an acceptable deck, the old 60s stuff does look like good value.
    I had a 301 and my Lenco GL75 was not way behind, in fact I thought it was better!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm paul.

Just bought a GL70 for £25, a going over and lubrication and it will be good. I've removed the arm as its not the best and will make a decision whether to mauler the plinth or make a subtle change to the arm mounting hole to mount a Stax 9" arm I have. I've been down the " throw money " at one and yes it was as good as my 401 but won't get your money back. It's very rare that examples around £1500-2000 will sell. Even at £500 you will struggle to get a sale.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Ken.

Well its 2022 and prices continue to rise, I paid £200 for a working GL75 and that was at the low end of the pricing.

Lets face it, the older things get, the rarer they get and with something of interest, rarity itself spurs things along.

So yes, prices will continue to rise.

Lencos still make the basis for a good quality TT project though.
    A bit of TLC and attention to the aging cosmetics is quite often all that is needed, as the stock item is pretty good.
    But if you start looking at different arms, plinths etc, it has great potential and luckily, there are still plenty donor decks and parts to be had.

Before I realized this potential, I saw a lot of three GL75's plus spares, go for a fiver at an auction house in Hereford, that was 2018. Doh!

I'm gary.

I have just picked up a GL75 a couple of days ago. It wasn’t working, but a bit of tlc and a new idler wheel rubber and it’s spinning like new.
    Sounding fantastic hooked up to my Scott HH 299c.
    Not using an external phono stage and i cannot be happier.
    Time to release the paradise phono stage I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Ken.

The Scott will be a fair age, similar to the Lenco?
    Looks cool.

I'm gary.

1960 vintage

I'm gary.

Attachment 30104

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast