+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They Paved Paradise

I'm Martin.

Default They Paved Paradise

And put up a parking lot, said Joni Mitchell back in 1970. Of course, as Alan Partridge famously noted, Mitchell had forgotten to consider that the parking lot would have eased congestion on the outskirts of paradise. Although in fairness to her it was early days and it would be another nineteen years before Chris Rea would significantly raise awareness of transportation issues via the medium of music.

Anyway, here's a link to an interesting article about how parking lots take up an enormous amount of space in some place called 'America'. https://www.citylab.com/transportati...cities/565715/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Enjoyed that, cheers. I think life would be generally improved if we all drove less.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Well yes and there seems to be no effective transport policy other than selling cars because people want them. So pile cars on to a road network that cant cope...the road to hell

Wheres electric in significant numbers.... wheres hydrogen?...F that...... just keep piling oil driven vehicles onto crowded roads

Oh and build HS2 because the brown envelopes are flowing and people will be on £100,000 plus a year...always look for the true motive with government.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 08-08-2018 at 12:50.

I'm Ian.

Firstly I better declare that I do care about the planet's future but, like most others, I do next to nothing about it.

Of course Joni Mitchell uses parking lots as a metaphor for what we are doing to our planet, it isn't just about transport policy. As a school child back in the sixties I was keen on nature and biology but had never really thought about "the environment" until we were shown a film based on Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. That was a real eye opener and was probably the main reason I studied biology majoring in Ecology in the early 70's. At that time The Club of Rome published the Limits to Growth (ironically sponsored by the Volkswagon Foundation) which set out how population growth, demand for resources and other factors would eventually lead to catastrophe. Much of establishment science poo pooed both books but Carson's eventually led to the banning of persistent pesticides such as DDT and it's been shown that the Limits to Growth predictions were actually pretty accurate for the 30 years since its publication.
    Then we had the Gaia hypothesis, OK, not strictly good science but it made a lot of sense to me. If the human population doesn't stress the planet too much things will stay more or less in balance but if we overdo our demands the planet won't be able to self regulate.
    Sort of leads us to global warming doesn't it? Plenty of people have denied its existence but the evidence is stacking up. This summer's global temperature records might just be natural variation but probably because of it the Stockholm Resilience Centre's recent report has made the news. Basically this says that we don't have to heat the Earth too much more before we bust the system - Gaia.
    It's really self evident. As an example, global warming (whatever its cause) is leading to the melting of ice at the poles and on mountains. Ice reflects the sun's rays back into space, the less you have of it the less heat is reflected away from the planet so the planet heats up more leading to more ice melting........positive feedback is not a good thing! We might just be getting close to busting the planet's ability to self-regulate.

I'm Grant.

local jobs for local people...there's nothing for you here
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

An exponential rise in the Human population since the 18th century is the main issue. In terms of the lifetime of the planet that is a huge rise in a short timespan.

Thats the problem and its pushed the planet into a new geological epoch.

I'm Mark.

We need to drastically reduce the number of cars on the road but as long as certain models and a certain manner of driving are known to increase penis size by 50 per cent (not in my case obviously, that would be stretching things too far!) and a trip on a bus is tantamount to penilectomy that is just not going to happen I fear.

I'm Grant.

Lots of reasons for it. But sure we can assist or slow its growth depending on global will, which unfortunately there is very little
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    And put up a parking lot, said Joni Mitchell back in 1970. Of course, as Alan Partridge famously noted, Mitchell had forgotten to consider that the parking lot would have eased congestion on the outskirts of paradise. Although in fairness to her it was early days and it would be another nineteen years before Chris Rea would significantly raise awareness of transportation issues via the medium of music.

Anyway, here's a link to an interesting article about how parking lots take up an enormous amount of space in some place called 'America'. https://www.citylab.com/transportati...cities/565715/
    Bit of trivia, that song came about when Mitchell flew into Hawaii late at night and booked into her hotel. Next morning she threw open the curtains for her first view of the islands and, to roughly quote her "There was a parking lot as far as the eye could see"
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Neil.

I thought cities were built on rock ‘n roll...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast