+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: They Paved Paradise

I'm Martin.

Patti Smith 'Horses' I still play sometimes, that is arguably up there with 'Blue'. But her later stuff doesn't do it for me. Eric Bibb is just too tame. It's lovely stuff but not up there with the gods. That's the sort of music I'm talking about, The transcendent stuff. Every generation had at least some, now we are in a desert.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Patti knocked it out of the park Martin, ranting at the photographers and "turn that fucking smoke off, I'm not Metallica" just in case anyone forgot that she's a badass. I loved it and still no slouch at 71!

We all sang G L O R I A and went home smiling

I'm off to play Blue now . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Patti Smith is brilliant, one of my favourites. A real rock 'n roller! 'Persuasion' is an ace track. Hard hitting and guitar that can tear holes in the fabric of time!!

Here, if anybody wants a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFUAmZ51_Q

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    And couldn't Joni outpour! She could outpour for Canada and the US... Before I get torced by the rest of the forum I do rate her as one of the most (.if not the most) musically talented artists of the 60/70's but she did go on a bit. I have most of her early albums and I had to stop listening to them for a while as they just made me morose; more ose than normal anyway. Her later stuff was much weaker I thought jumping on bandwagons left right and centre. Feel sorry for her now, she's in a poor way.
    I disagree - I don't find her morose at all. Her word-craft is brilliant; matched only IMO by that of Suzanne Vega. I have most of Joni's recordings: all of her early recordings, up to and including 'Blue', and I love them all. Started to loose interest when she flirted with jazz-style singing, for example 'Mingus'.

Sadly a lifetime of heavy smoking has taken its toll - she's lost the top two octaves.
    Barry

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I disagree - I don't find her morose at all. Her word-craft is brilliant; matched only IMO by that of Suzanne Vega. I have most of Joni's recordings: all of her early recordings, up to and including 'Blue', and I love them all. Started to loose interest when she flirted with jazz-style singing, for example 'Mingus'.

Sadly a lifetime of heavy smoking has taken its toll - she's lost the top two octaves.
    Joni uses jazz-style singing and jazz musicians on many records in my view, Hissing..., Hejira and Court and Spark notably and for me it adds greatly to their appeal. I agree about Mingus though, couldn't find much to like about that particular use of jazz, despite a few serious attempts.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Patti knocked it out of the park Martin, ranting at the photographers and "turn that fucking smoke off, I'm not Metallica" just in case anyone forgot that she's a badass. I loved it and still no slouch at 71!

We all sang G L O R I A and went home smiling

I'm off to play Blue now . . .
    Agree she still looks cool on stage. Just has that 'don't care what you think' scruffiness about her and carries it off well.

I found it interesting reading her memoir that she only stumbled into music in her twenties, she was much more into art and poetry growing up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Please don't beat me, but Patti Smith pretty much passed me by. Only song that comes to mind is 'Because the Night'. What would be a good introduction to her stuff?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Please don't beat me, but Patti Smith pretty much passed me by. Only song that comes to mind is 'Because the Night'. What would be a good introduction to her stuff?
    'Horses' is the one. I don't think anyone will argue that is not her best. Later stuff is more 'eclectic'.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

You know, I may have seen her do that on a BBC four compilation of OGWT performances. I may also have seen an album somewhere called 'Easter'. That's it. All I know.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You know, I may have seen her do that on a BBC four compilation of OGWT performances. I may also have seen an album somewhere called 'Easter'. That's it. All I know.
    Don't you have the 'streaming'? Otherwise just order the CD off of Amazon. you won't think you've wasted your money unless I've misread you and you don't like music that has some real balls to it?
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast