+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: On the demise of the British pub

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I feel that many pubs deserve to close down. Spoons has the cheapest beer but its like drinking in a school hall
    Exactly, so it's a completely soulless experience, and the exact OPPOSITE of what I'm looking for in a pub. Plus, there's a completely uninspiring choice of beers (all the boring and unimaginative 'usual suspects'), not particularly treated well, which completely turns me off, and so I couldn't give a monkeys how cheap it is, you won't ever see me in such places!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pubs are like forums. need to be run well for them to thrive...
    Spot on, Grant, and in that respect they need to be run by folks with passion and enthusiasm for that they're doing. It also helps if they have an outgoing personality, and are not simply bland, boring 'non-entities'

Some of the 'zombies' you see, in that respect, working behind bars, makes you wonder why on earth they're there in the first place, as they clearly have no passion or enthusiasm for what they're doing!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

I rarely go to pubs these days, but not all pubs in the 'good old days' were much cop. Many many years ago, when I lived in That London, there was a pub just up the road from where I lived, but I never went there, as I preferred to drink either in Central London, or in Blackheath, which wasn't too far to get to and was a 'nicer' area than my immediate locality. One evening, when it was pissing down with rain, I decided to give it a try, and went in there with a couple of mates. No-one else in the pub was much under sixty, and they all stared at us silently as we went in, and continued to stare at us silently until we finished our drinks and went somewhere more hospitable. Also, on a freezing cold November night, the only heating was a one-bar electric fire.

Another time, we were in Brixton, visiting a friend's brother. We asked if there were any good pubs nearby, as none of the rest of us knew the place. He said 'Let's go to my local, then'. He said he's buy the first round, and asked for our orders. At that time I mostly drank 'shorts', so I said I'd have a vodka and orange. 'Not in this pub you won't' he said. 'You'd better have what I'm having; a pint of Guinness.' It was only then I realised that everyone else in the pub had Irish accents, and that the Irish tricolour was hanging up behind the bar

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I rarely go to pubs these days, but not all pubs in the 'good old days' were much cop. Many many years ago, when I lived in That London, there was a pub just up the road from where I lived, but I never went there, as I preferred to drink either in Central London, or in Blackheath, which wasn't too far to get to and was a 'nicer' area than my immediate locality. One evening, when it was pissing down with rain, I decided to give it a try, and went in there with a couple of mates. No-one else in the pub was much under sixty, and they all stared at us silently as we went in, and continued to stare at us silently until we finished our drinks and went somewhere more hospitable. Also, on a freezing cold November night, the only heating was a one-bar electric fire.

Another time, we were in Brixton, visiting a friend's brother. We asked if there were any good pubs nearby, as none of the rest of us knew the place. He said 'Let's go to my local, then'. He said he's buy the first round, and asked for our orders. At that time I mostly drank 'shorts', so I said I'd have a vodka and orange. 'Not in this pub you won't' he said. 'You'd better have what I'm having; a pint of Guinness.' It was only then I realised that everyone else in the pub had Irish accents, and that the Irish tricolour was hanging up behind the bar
    .... and your point is?

I'm Josie.

I've lived next door to a village pub.

The landlords that Marston's got in to run it were simply conned in to running it by the brewery. They told them that the pub turns over well in excess of £500,000 per annum.

The landlord of the most successful pub down the street simply laughed at it. No way, but that's Marston's for you.

The people who took it over were people who seemed like loners to couples with 3 week old babies. None of them had a clue what to do, and none of them had passion to run it.

In the end a guy ran it and 6 months later he ran out of credit with Marston's and they stopped delivering. The pub shut and he started doing drugs instead... he was basically squatting in there for a year as they couldn't evict him.

So... to me the brewery is just as at fault for the closures of local pubs... they drive a hard bargain, they con people in to running a business and then just leave them if it all goes wrong.

Seen it happen so many times and people wonder why they shut.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    .... and your point is?
    Dunno... If you're a young guy (as I suspect Joe was at the time), you might not want to drink in an old man's pub, especially one full of unsociable morons?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I've lived next door to a village pub.

The landlords that Marston's got in to run it were simply conned in to running it by the brewery. They told them that the pub turns over well in excess of £500,000 per annum.

The landlord of the most successful pub down the street simply laughed at it. No way, but that's Marston's for you.

The people who took it over were people who seemed like loners to couples with 3 week old babies. None of them had a clue what to do, and none of them had passion to run it.

In the end a guy ran it and 6 months later he ran out of credit with Marston's and they stopped delivering. The pub shut and he started doing drugs instead... he was basically squatting in there for a year as they couldn't evict him.

So... to me the brewery is just as at fault for the closures of local pubs... they drive a hard bargain, they con people in to running a business and then just leave them if it all goes wrong.

Seen it happen so many times and people wonder why they shut.
    Excellent point, Jo, and too true. However, loners and such like (anyone who isn't switched on enough), shouldn't be given the job in the first place.

For me, unless you have a friendly, outgoing and gregarious personality, know how to look after yourself and aren't easily intimidated, are 100% focussed on making the pub concerned a success, and have the time, willingness to work like a dog, and business acumen necessary for that to happen, then forget all about running a pub...

Being a pub landlord simply isn't for social misfits, shy little wallflowers, or couples who are 'nappied up to the max'. It's for people who are devoted/dedicated to the cause, and willing to make it their life's main purpose, until such times as that's no longer necessary. Otherwise, forget it!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Dunno... If you're a young guy (as I suspect Joe was at the time), you might not want to drink in an old man's pub, especially one full of unsociable morons?

Marco.
    If I were not in a generous mood I would suggest his post is both ageist and racist. What flag would you expect to see in an Irish pub in London and what accent would you expect Irish drinkers to have. If I were in an Irish pub, I would probably be drinking Guinness on the assumption that they had a trained cellar man who knew how to manage it. The suggestion that an Irish barman would be irritated by someone ordering spirits is ridiculous. I also doubt if any clientele in any London pub would pay any attention to strangers coming in the door unless they were causing a ruckus. This sounds more like some 1960s Hammer Horror scene set in Transylvania than the London I grew up in.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If I were in an Irish pub, I would probably be drinking Guinness on the assumption that they had a trained cellar man who knew how to manage it. The suggestion that an Irish barman would be irritated by someone ordering spirits is ridiculous. I also doubt if any clientele in any London pub would pay any attention to strangers coming in the door unless they were causing a ruckus. This sounds more like some 1960s Hammer Horror scene set in Transylvania than the London I grew up in.
    Well, firstly I don't think Joe's lying, because he's not the type, so I don't doubt what he said happened. I've also experienced the same thing myself, although not in London. The UK is full of rather cliquey little pubs, often located in small towns or villages and housing estates, where if your face isn't known, then the regulars stare and wonder who you are. That's not at all unusual.

Secondly, I don't like Guinness, so no matter what the barman thought, I'd insist on drinking what *I* wanted to drink, providing it was available, and if it was a vodka and orange, then that's what I'd be having, or I'd be out the door pronto, and drinking elsewhere!

No-one tells me what I can or cannot drink in a free country.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, firstly I don't think Joe's lying, because he's not the type, so I don't doubt what he said happened. I've also experienced the same thing myself, although not in London. The UK is full of rather cliquey little pubs, often located in small towns or villages and housing estates, where if your face isn't known, then the regulars stare and wonder who you are. That's not at all unusual.

Secondly, I don't like Guinness, so no matter what the barman thought, I'd insist on drinking what *I* wanted to drink, providing it was available, and if it was a vodka and orange, then that's what I'd be having, or I'd be out the door pronto!

No-one tells me what I can or cannot drink in a free country.

Marco.
    Perhaps his recollection is faulty. No pub in London would give a monkey's what a customer ordered and vodka and orange is hardly exotic.

I do like Guinness but only ever drink it in pubs with properly trained bar staff.

I don't know of any London pub that I frequented that would notice what planet a customer came from let alone pay attention to their age. I do know of many pubs though that would have unruly, loud or rude customers out on their ears in an instant.

Seems to me that this post says more about Jo and the people he was with than the pub in question.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast