+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case DIY: Best way to remove specific small piece of metal?

I'm Gary.

Default Case DIY: Best way to remove specific small piece of metal?

Ola
    Latest round of Oppo 203 mods round the corner, and need a bit of help with this one.
    Thanks.

I2s output board on its way from Hong Kong and I need to mod the back of the case to accommodate the HDMI socket to feed i2s to the Dac.

Its always the little things...grrr.
    Whats the best way to remove the three metal strips to accomodate the socket?
    Thinking maybe a dremmel or other hobby tool, cant think of any saw blade that's small enough to get in there?

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Ola
    Latest round of Oppo 203 mods round the corner, and need a bit of help with this one.
    Thanks.

I2s output board on its way from Hong Kong and I need to mod the back of the case to accommodate the HDMI socket to feed i2s to the Dac.

Its always the little things...grrr.
    Whats the best way to remove the three metal strips to accomodate the socket?
    Thinking maybe a dremmel or other hobby tool, cant think of any saw blade that's small enough to get in there?

Any cheap fretsaw will do the job. Just feed the blade through the slit and connect to the saw. Then just saw gently until you cut through the three strips. Once finished you can tidy up with a small file.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...ywords=fretsaw

Geoff

I'm Andrew.

Tinsnips and then use a small meta file to square the edges off. A 5 minute job.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

A Dremel (or similar rotary tool) with a small cutting disc.
    Last edited by CageyH; 05-08-2018 at 19:47.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    A Dremal (or similar rotary tool) with a small cutting disc.
    I agree. I'd use a diamond coated disc. Done lots of similar jobs with one. Just take your time.

I'm Andrew.

Blowtorch?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Chisel?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Russell.

The Dremel is the way to go, I’ve done this exact thing before. The cheap little abrasive wheels would do the job in seconds. Diamond coated works equally well and doesn’t break so easily. Take it in short bursts so the heat won’t warp the metal, or flake the paint. Looks like an interesting project!

Russell

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    The Dremel is the way to go, I’ve done this exact thing before. The cheap little abrasive wheels would do the job in seconds. Diamond coated works equally well and doesn’t break so easily. Take it in short bursts so the heat won’t warp the metal, or flake the paint. Looks like an interesting project!

Russell
    I am sure the Dremel would do a fine job. However, it seems to be an expensive solution if it is only for this single task. Always worth having a fretsaw in the toolkit though!

An alternative is using an oversize metal drill bit to separate each link, and then using a small long nose piers to bend and break the link at each end.

Geoff

I'm Kevin.

There are cheaper alternatives to a Dremel.

You could also look at water jet cutting, as well as a plasma cutter (if we carry on from the chisel suggestion).
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast