+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    With Grant on this one ... presuming that the SEG supports Asynch USB input (I have no idea)

On the second one ... if the ATV4 handles AIFF files from your MacBook that should be fine but I don't have one to try that option and my ATV is an older iteration. No idea re. the 6s but my iPhone SE won't accept AIFF files so with me that we be a nogo.

Also just realised that you didn't mention Audirvarna - if you are doing all this with iTunes I doubt you will get any advantage either way.
    Not sure about the Asynch USB but the SEG is the newest model which I bought about two months ago.

The sample rate for the ATV4 is the same as the internal speakers of the MBP which is 44100.

I've a Denon streamer which I use to listen to internet radio and FM radio via the SEG and it sounds excellent despite the Denon being old now however I can was casting one of the streams on this thread, radio paradise (couldn't find it on the Denon) to the ATV via the MBP tonight and thought it might sound better with a USB cable rather than going round the houses ie MBP Airplay>ATV4-HDMI>TV>Toslink input SEG>Amp>Speakers.

As in MBP>USB Input SEG>Amp>Speakers.

Tony

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Thanks, I'm not sure if My MacBook Pro can do that, seems Apple made a change around about when my MBP came out, sample rate is 44100 and output source is internal speakers.
    Just checked the Apple tech specs - if this is your model then it should support digital out via the headphone socket, so yes - a TOSLINK cable to the SEG is also an option:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_GB
    Audio
    Stereo speakers
    Dual microphones
    3.5 mm headphone jack
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

NOTE: the option for digital out won't appear in the sound preferences until you have the TOSLINK cable plugged in

I'm Tony.

Just checked the Apple tech specs - if this is your model then it should support digital out via the headphone socket, so yes - a TOSLINK cable to the SEG is also an option:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_GB
    Audio
    Stereo speakers
    Dual microphones
    3.5 mm headphone jack
    Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

NOTE: the option for digital out won't appear in the sound preferences until you have the TOSLINK cable plugged in
    Thanks Mike, yes that's my model, just checked by clicking on about this mac>specifications and it took me to the same page.

Presumably I just need a mini toslink adapter?

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...RoCdrgQAvD_BwE

I'm inactive.

Thanks Mike, yes that's my model, just checked by clicking on about this mac>specifications and it took me to the same page.

Presumably I just need a mini toslink adapter?

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioqu...RoCdrgQAvD_BwE
    An adapter gives you more flexibility if you already have a few optical cables .... I have a couple in the drawer.
    My preference is a dedicated one with the mini plug built in (Fisual do some great ones for about the price of that adapter)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fisual-Pe...oAAMXQVERS1TSU

I'm Tony.

An adapter gives you more flexibility if you already have a few optical cables .... I have a couple in the drawer.
    My preference is a dedicated one with the mini plug built in (Fisual do some great ones for about the price of that adapter)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fisual-Pe...oAAMXQVERS1TSU
    Hi Mike, I found a mini toslink to headphone jack cable and just plugged it into the SEG and the MBP, I'm listening via headphones at the minute and it sounds stunning and the MBP is showing digital out in the audio tab

I'm currently listening to that radio paradise link from page 8 in this thread.

I'll try a USB cable tomorrow, think I've one in the shed.

I'm inactive.

Hi Mike, I found a mini toslink to headphone jack cable and just plugged it into the SEG and the MBP, I'm listening via headphones at the minute and it sounds stunning and the MBP is showing digital out in the audio tab

Result !!!

I'm inactive.

I'll try a USB cable tomorrow, think I've one in the shed.
    As long as it ain't a freebie printer type cable - they tend to be pants

I'm Tony.

As long as it ain't a freebie printer type cable - they tend to be pants
    Think it is Mike

I'm Grant.

It'll work well enough to see what you think of it. It can certainly be improved on for little money. I use a nice Amazon one above a more expensive one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It'll work well enough to see what you think of it. It can certainly be improved on for little money. I use a nice Amazon one above a more expensive one
    Aye I'll give it a shot in the morning Grant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast