+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    so Pcp/LMS is now working..
    got this...

Seems stable and quick so far, but its certainly a step out of my comfort zone... i have samba share enabled now although so far its not showing in win10...unsurprisingly.. its not good with shares now.
    Grant,

are you familiar with BG's Sweet Tea album. I increasingly find myself humming track one!

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Grant,

are you familiar with BG's Sweet Tea album. I increasingly find myself humming track one!

Geoff
    Doesn@t ring a bell but will look on Spotify...which is now running through Pcp

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Here is the YouTube video re USB Mounting and Samba Share...

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Here is the YouTube video re USB Mounting and Samba Share...

Thanks for that video, explains how to setup my Nas drive better than the one I watched last week. I'll give picoreplayer again as I want Nas access as well as Spotify, but having seen his other video I see they have a Bandcamp plugin for LMS which I'm REALLY keen to install as I buy a lot of music from Bandcamp so the plugin would perfect for me.

Off to burn picoreplayer to my card again

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    In my experience with Macs, VLC player is OK but will give you pretty much the same playback as iTunes - so if you think thats pants .....

MY ADVICE:

Ditch the optical lead from your iMac and DAC and replace with a reasonable quality USB lead (Belkin will do but you can go exotic later)

--- The DAC 3 supports asynchronous input which I have found to be much better than SPDIF from a Mac ---

Buy a copy of Audirvarna Plus (one-off licence when I bought it) and install it.

--- Audirvarna bypasses iTunes and installs it's own much improved codec ----

Rip a CD to AIFF format (iTunes will do the job fine and get the artwork and track titles)

Point Audirvarna to the iTunes music library (during setup or in Preferences later)

Play your files and sit back and enjoy

I think I offered the same advice last time you asked ... but hey ho

Ignore the gobbledygook in italics if you wish.
    I've a MacBook pro mid 2015 with headphones in and two USB 3.0 and an HDMI port plus two thunderbolt ports and my DAC is a Caiman SEG, can I just plug a USB cable from the MacBook Pro to the SEG and listen to stuff on my hifi from the MacBook Pro via the SEG?

I can airplay from the MacBook or my iPhone 6S to an ATV4 which is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable then the TV is connected to the one of the SEG's Toslink inputs and then to my amp & speakers.

Thanks

Tony

I'm Grant.

Default Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

Should be fine on first one. I will pass on second. But maybe yes
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I've a MacBook pro mid 2015 with headphones in and two USB 3.0 and an HDMI port plus two thunderbolt ports and my DAC is a Caiman SEG, can I just plug a USB cable from the MacBook Pro to the SEG and listen to stuff on my hifi from the MacBook Pro via the SEG?

I can airplay from the MacBook or my iPhone 6S to an ATV4 which is connected to my TV via an HDMI cable then the TV is connected to the one of the SEG's Toslink inputs and then to my amp & speakers.
    With Grant on this one ... presuming that the SEG supports Asynch USB input (I have no idea)

On the second one ... if the ATV4 handles AIFF files from your MacBook that should be fine but I don't have one to try that option and my ATV is an older iteration. No idea re. the 6s but my iPhone SE won't accept AIFF files so with me that we be a nogo.

Also just realised that you didn't mention Audirvarna - if you are doing all this with iTunes I doubt you will get any advantage either way.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I've a MacBook pro mid 2015
    Macbooks used to have a dual use headphone port - you could assign to be an optical out if you wished.
    If yours does optical out then all you need is an optical connection direct to the DAC.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Macbooks used to have a dual use headphone port - you could assign to be an optical out if you wished.
    If yours does optical out then all you need is an optical connection direct to the DAC.
    Thanks, I'm not sure if My MacBook Pro can do that, seems Apple made a change around about when my MBP came out, sample rate is 44100 and output source is internal speakers.

I'm Tony.

Should be fine on first one. I will pass on second. But maybe yes

Thanks Grant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast