+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

I'm inactive.

In my experience with Macs, VLC player is OK but will give you pretty much the same playback as iTunes - so if you think thats pants .....

MY ADVICE:

Ditch the optical lead from your iMac and DAC and replace with a reasonable quality USB lead (Belkin will do but you can go exotic later)

--- The DAC 3 supports asynchronous input which I have found to be much better than SPDIF from a Mac ---

Buy a copy of Audirvarna Plus (one-off licence when I bought it) and install it.

--- Audirvarna bypasses iTunes and installs it's own much improved codec ----

Rip a CD to AIFF format (iTunes will do the job fine and get the artwork and track titles)

Point Audirvarna to the iTunes music library (during setup or in Preferences later)

Play your files and sit back and enjoy

I think I offered the same advice last time you asked ... but hey ho

Ignore the gobbledygook in italics if you wish.
    Last edited by mikmas; 05-08-2018 at 18:33.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    This digital stuff is a breeze, but it does require aptitude.
    I find setting up a turntable correctly far more complicated.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Mac to DAC via Toslink or USB is the simplest way. I just don't understand all the Room/RPI/etc stuff and nothing I've read suggests it's easy to just plug in and play.

I had good results from the M2TECH DAC from the laptop. Just do your research because it wouldn't work with Windows 10.

It's a minefield mate.
    The complexity of the RPi is overstated. Just takes a little time to learn the basics. Fine, if it doesn't appeal to everybody but I don't think it is possible to beat an Rpi setup on vfm grounds. My Rpi3b+/Digione into a Caiman SEG wipes the floor with CDPs under a grand as well as some very more expensive systems.

If one is looking for simplicity, it is difficult to beat a Cambridge CXN especially since they introduced support for Tidal though this simplicity comes at a price (£800).

For simplicity on a budget, I would recommend a WD TV Player. It is the swiss army knife of media streaming and will play almost every known audio and visual file. I still have mine, though I haven't used it in ages.

Geoff

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    The complexity of the RPi is overstated. Just takes a little time to learn the basics. Fine, if it doesn't appeal to everybody but I don't think it is possible to beat an Rpi setup on vfm grounds. My Rpi3b+/Digione into a Caiman SEG wipes the floor with CDPs under a grand as well as some very more expensive systems.

If one is looking for simplicity, it is difficult to beat a Cambridge CXN especially since they introduced support for Tidal though this simplicity comes at a price (£800).

For simplicity on a budget, I would recommend a WD TV Player. It is the swiss army knife of media streaming and will play almost every known audio and visual file. I still have mine, though I haven't used it in ages.

Geoff
    I did look at the CXN but as you say, a bit pricey for a format I'm still unconvinced with

The WD player required at TV? not gonna work in the listening space.

RPI, well I just don't get it. I may look into it but in no rush.

I'm James.

I love this post it's making me cry with laughter.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lawrence.

Totally agree with this:

Ditch the optical lead from your iMac and DAC and replace with a reasonable quality USB lead (Belkin will do but you can go exotic later)

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Whatever you do don't use a laptop in your digital set up, get yourself a music server and stick this up your DAC it will sound way better than a laptop.

I would recommend an Innuos Zen mini and use Ipeng to run your metadata. Seriously this will turbo charge your DAC and get you quickly to a very high quality digital sound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I love this post it's making me cry with laughter.
    It's not funny!!!

The RPI is the most confusing thing I've looked into. It needs to be paired to a smartphone/laptop/tablet running some software to get them to communicate, then if you don't sign up to a streaming service you need to set up a NAS to your AIFF/FLAC/MP3 files and play them over your internet.

Does the pi have to be physically connected to a router? The media!?

Gawd knows

If not, I read you have to then set up the WiFi by plugging in a keyboard (haven't got one) and plugging it into the TV and start writing Code (numbers and letters I think) the set up WiFi. This looks as much fun as peeling grapes. I'm no technophobe but Jesus it's madness.

Then you need to do the same to setup the software.

Seriously!!!!

I gave up reading the gumph and disassembled my turntable and tonearm, reassembled them and spent 68hours f@cking about with azimuth, which after the RPI thread felt like fun.

If there is a plug in and play option then I'd try it but the fact the advice is "wait for someone to set it up for you" it screams..... "When this updates and deletes an essential part of the code, you are screwed" to me.

The CXN is however a lot simpler BUT I have no idea if it's any good, how close to vinyl it get ("oh my god! Did he just say that!?") Or if I even have the interest to try. At £800 I'd rather buy a CDP and a DAC for £100 and be dissatisfied that way.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Whatever you do don't use a laptop in your digital set up, get yourself a music server and stick this up your DAC it will sound way better than a laptop.

I would recommend an Innuos Zen mini and use Ipeng to run your metadata. Seriously this will turbo charge your DAC and get you quickly to a very high quality digital sound.
    Love my Innuos zen, it's great, rips all my CDs and sounds better than virtually any CDP I've had when playing them back. Handy remote on my Android phone as well.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It's not funny!!!

The RPI is the most confusing thing I've looked into. It needs to be paired to a smartphone/laptop/tablet running some software to get them to communicate, then if you don't sign up to a streaming service you need to set up a NAS to your AIFF/FLAC/MP3 files and play them over your internet.

Does the pi have to be physically connected to a router? The media!?

Gawd knows

If not, I read you have to then set up the WiFi by plugging in a keyboard (haven't got one) and plugging it into the TV and start writing Code (numbers and letters I think) the set up WiFi. This looks as much fun as peeling grapes. I'm no technophobe but Jesus it's madness.

Then you need to do the same to setup the software.

Seriously!!!!

I gave up reading the gumph and disassembled my turntable and tonearm, reassembled them and spent 68hours f@cking about with azimuth, which after the RPI thread felt like fun.

If there is a plug in and play option then I'd try it but the fact the advice is "wait for someone to set it up for you" it screams..... "When this updates and deletes an essential part of the code, you are screwed" to me.

The CXN is however a lot simpler BUT I have no idea if it's any good, how close to vinyl it get ("oh my god! Did he just say that!?") Or if I even have the interest to try. At £800 I'd rather buy a CDP and a DAC for £100 and be dissatisfied that way.
    Its a minefield mate but if you throw plenty of dosh at it you can get there quickly and more importantly painlessly!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast