+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It's not funny!!!

The RPI is the most confusing thing I've looked into. It needs to be paired to a smartphone/laptop/tablet running some software to get them to communicate, then if you don't sign up to a streaming service you need to set up a NAS to your AIFF/FLAC/MP3 files and play them over your internet.

Does the pi have to be physically connected to a router? The media!?

Gawd knows

If not, I read you have to then set up the WiFi by plugging in a keyboard (haven't got one) and plugging it into the TV and start writing Code (numbers and letters I think) the set up WiFi. This looks as much fun as peeling grapes. I'm no technophobe but Jesus it's madness.

Then you need to do the same to setup the software.

Seriously!!!!

I gave up reading the gumph and disassembled my turntable and tonearm, reassembled them and spent 68hours f@cking about with azimuth, which after the RPI thread felt like fun.

If there is a plug in and play option then I'd try it but the fact the advice is "wait for someone to set it up for you" it screams..... "When this updates and deletes an essential part of the code, you are screwed" to me.

The CXN is however a lot simpler BUT I have no idea if it's any good, how close to vinyl it get ("oh my god! Did he just say that!?") Or if I even have the interest to try. At £800 I'd rather buy a CDP and a DAC for £100 and be dissatisfied that way.
    I guess it depends on software. Volumio2 for instance is free and is put on a sd card and fitted in the pi. rpi 3 has wifi in it and afaik you dont need a keyboard. (i use ethernet.) You dont need a nas but can use one. I find it works well with a hdd attached to the pi via usb with the flac files on it. Your tablet etc only needs a browser window to connect up to the rpi. Its pretty painless. Moode 4.2 needs a bit of work as does picoreplayer. not sure re kodi yet, but probably. Volumio2 and an rpi3 with a dac hat and a psu and your away. just download and image a sd micro.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I guess it depends on software. Volumio2 for instance is free and is put on a sd card and fitted in the pi. rpi 3 has wifi in it and afaik you dont need a keyboard. (i use ethernet.) You dont need a nas but can use one. I find it works well with a hdd attached to the pi via usb with the flac files on it. Your tablet etc only needs a browser window to connect up to the rpi. Its pretty painless. Moode 4.2 needs a bit of work as does picoreplayer. not sure re kodi yet, but probably. Volumio2 and an rpi3 with a dac hat and a psu and your away. just download and image a sd micro.
    See, that sounds "easy" enough. I could do that I think.

I'm Grant.

Default Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

See, that sounds "easy" enough. I could do that I think.
    sure you could Oli. I did it so most could. If u have a favourite dac you can fit a spidif hat instead of a dac hat. My rpi2b needs a wifi dongle and i never did get that to work, but i am happy to use it with an ethernet cable.

Rpi and hdd at back right
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Its a minefield mate but if you throw plenty of dosh at it you can get there quickly and more importantly painlessly!
    🤣.

No way, I'd like a cheap solution like I did with the vinyl to phonostage link.

All that faffing with SUTs and Headamps made me want to jack it in. The mod Alan did to my MM phonostage, with the FETS, worked perfectly. Cheapest solution and simple in terms of my input. Sounds the best out of everything i tried too. And some of it was quite excellent.

Don't want to hear about XYZ being better. Been there, tried it.

Things may have been different if I hadn't misunderstood Tom and got that Bobs device Cinemag SUT.

That was excellent.

Anyway, I may try a pi.

Bigman80 Guest

sure you could Oli. I did it so most could. If u have a favourite dac you can fit a spidif hat instead of a dac hat. My rpi2b needs a wifi dongle and i never did get that to work, but i am happy to use it with an ethernet cable.
    A DAC hat would do Grant, I don't really want a multitude of DAC/Pi/USB/HDD all over the shop. A neat little solution could be good.

Bigman80 Guest

Connecting to WiFi!!!!!

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits...h-occidentalis

Like I said.........code.

I'm Grant.

A DAC hat would do Grant, I don't really want a multitude of DAC/Pi/USB/HDD all over the shop. A neat little solution could be good.
    i added a pic to show how little real estate it takes up
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

i added a pic to show how little real estate it takes up
    Looks tidy enough. That WiFi looks a ball ache. Can it be done by plugging it in to a laptop?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Moode 4.2 needs a bit of work as does picoreplayer
    piCorePlayer doesn't need a bit of work to get it to work. I had pCP working in under 15 minutes.
    I had an issue in my setup, and that was working out how to get it to address the library on my NAS.
    A HDD is not difficult to do.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Connecting to WiFi!!!!!

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits...h-occidentalis

Like I said.........code.
    dont think thats needed in volumio. I noticed a wifi bit in the setup section.. looked to be just a couple of entries on the tablet in volumio. nothing painful.(again im talking rpi3)which is the latest. windiskimager is used to image the card from your pc. its pretty straightforward and does it all for you
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast