+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Educate me please , Who has a quality dac / streeming setup ?

I'm Clive.

I use Tidal. Tried Qobuz on a free trial but had nothing but problems, not able to listen to complete tracks or just low res. A complete waste of time.
    Last edited by Clive197; 14-08-2018 at 18:16.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I use Tidal. Tried Qobuz on a free trial but had nothing but problems, not able to listen to complete tracks or low res. A complete waste of time.
    I'm currently running a trial Tidal account and have been very impressed with the sound quality, choice and interface. Streets ahead of Qobuz.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Edward.

If you guys like Tidal you will love Roon with Tidal playing through it.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Timothy.

I have not yet tried Roon, and I am curious what Roon “does” to Tidal, or how is the Sonics improved upon or enhanced via Roon?
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    I have not yet tried Roon, and I am curious what Roon “does” to Tidal, or how is the Sonics improved upon or enhanced via Roon?
    Roon is properly configured out of the box, other software and driver combinations may not be.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I use Tidal. Tried Qobuz on a free trial but had nothing but problems, not able to listen to complete tracks or just low res. A complete waste of time.
    I tried a free trial of Tidal followed by a free trial of Qobuz.

Using the available plugins for my Raspberry Pi running SqueezeLite (an SBT clone) I had no end of problems with Tidal.

Switching to Qobuz the plugin worked flawlessly with my Pi and the Orange Squeeze Android app. So I took a subscription out for Qobuz Hi-FI instead of Tidal. The plugin for Qobuz works really well with my Pi which feeds into my Creek 50CD CD Player / Dac via a Chord Digital Co-ax lead.

Mind you every time I have tried the Qobuz Desktop App on my PC I have had problems (maybe this is what you are referring to). But for me the most important think is that the plugin for my Pi on my main system works - so that is why I went for Qobuz.
    Adam.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    If you guys like Tidal you will love Roon with Tidal playing through it.
    Indeedy, its superb.
    Sorts Tidal albums/tracks same way it does your own local library, making one big music magazine to play music from.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Al

I just connect my laptop to my DAC with a USB cable and pay a sub to a decent streaming service (I use Qobuz 16/44 at the moment).
    It equals or beats my CDP, which I rate highly.
    Justin User211 does this as well (only he used Tidal streaming) and he is a very fussy bugger when it comes to sq.
    Imho you don't need all these fancy boxes and software, or the cost associated with them.

Cancel your sub to Amazon Music, it sounds crap.
    I'm recently using BubbleUPnP to access TIDAL on my OnePlus 6 and streaming it to my TV, and using the TV's optical out to the Lampizator. This is lossless.

The phone has a quarter of a terrabyte of storage and I have a lot of FLAC CD rips on it too.

I have a crazy belief this sounds better than the wired link from my laptop. Whether that is true I don't know but it seems that way.

I also switch the whole system on and off via a wi-fi plug connected to my mains regenerator.

Phones are getting seriously good, really.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I'm recently using BubbleUPnP to access TIDAL on my OnePlus 6 and streaming it to my TV, and using the TV's optical out to the Lampizator. This is lossless.

The phone has a quarter of a terrabyte of storage and I have a lot of FLAC CD rips on it too.

I have a crazy belief this sounds better than the wired link from my laptop. Whether that is true I don't know but it seems that way.

I also switch the whole system on and off via a wi-fi plug connected to my mains regenerator.

Phones are getting seriously good, really.
    Very interesting Justin

How is the jump from your oneplus to your TV accomplished? Wifi, bluetooth or some other way? Trying to understand how lossless being retained.

In what way is wireless from your 'phone 'better' compared to the wired link from your laptop? Seems counter-intuitive. What is the link on your laptop? USB?

Is your wifi plug one of these? Trying to suss out how much amperage such a thing can cope with?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Very interesting Justin

How is the jump from your oneplus to your TV accomplished? Wifi, bluetooth or some other way? Trying to understand how lossless being retained.

In what way is wireless from your 'phone 'better' compared to the wired link from your laptop? Seems counter-intuitive. What is the link on your laptop? USB?

Is your wifi plug one of these? Trying to suss out how much amperage such a thing can cope with?
    Wi-Fi plug is a Kasa. I have three of them. The other two do the telly and coffee machine. I am not aware of any wi-fi plug power output limitations.

UPnP is a protocol most modern televisions understand. The streaming is via my home wi-fi from phone to telly.

When I play tracks the telly shows which track is playing. The telly is set to output via optical (no other option actually).

My laptop is wired to the telly via HDMI. Same optical out from the telly when using this link. I actually think it sounds better than the USB direct from laptop to DAC, which is why I don't use the USB.

All connection methods have only a very marginal difference in SQ.

BTW you can use the TIDAL mobile app or BubbleUPnP's interface to TIDAL streams to play tracks. They both have great interfaces, but it is easier to use BubbleUPnP, as it takes more steps to play something via the TIDAL ap.

I use BubbleUPnP with three of my 4 TVs. So something similar works in my 2nd hi-fi system.

I can turn on a play music in my main listening room from anywhere in the house without going in there. Cool. And all for f all cost, really.
    Last edited by User211; 22-08-2018 at 20:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast