+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humming Naim nait 5 when connected to streamer

I'm Mike.

Default Humming Naim nait 5 when connected to streamer

Just purchased a freshly serviced Nait 5, an immediate reversion back to something approaching hi-fi sq after living with a Harmon Kardon hk6500 for 6 months or so (not slating that amp - it probably needed some attention), and such a relief to have remote control again! Anyway, the amp is fine when playing cds, but as soon as I connect my streamer (Pioneer N-50) the amp emits low level buzzing/humming sound, not audible when music is playing, but annoying when it isn't, as the old dictum goes, 'leave Naim amps on at all times'. The amp buzzes as soon as you connect the streamer, even if another input is selected. Any fixes for this, or just an explanation? I listen wirelessly through the streamer.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Deleted.

You mean it buzzes through the speakers or the thing itself buzzes (but not through the speakers)?

If it is through the speakers then it is an earth loop. If it is a mechanical buzz then it is likely DC on the mains and, in this case, the streamer would be the bit o& kit creating the DC.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    You mean it buzzes through the speakers or the thing itself buzzes (but not through the speakers)?

If it is through the speakers then it is an earth loop. If it is a mechanical buzz then it is likely DC on the mains and, in this case, the streamer would be the bit o& kit creating the DC.
    Oh through the speakers!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Try an optical cable.

I'm Matt.

Stick with me a minute.......
    Get a length of mains cable.
    Attach ONLY the earth lead to the earth pin of a mains plug. Either discard, or DO NOT ATTACH the other two cores. Ensure there are no strands of the other two cores exposed.
    At the other end, strip back the earth & attach it to a screw head of the Naim casing, for example, under one of the feet. The other two cores should be blanked off or removed.
    This means you will end up with only an earth attached to the Naim case at one end & the earth pin of a mains plug which smthen plugged in to a spare mains socket.
    The earth hum/ buzz will be sorted.
    There are quite a few issues with earth hum relating to Naim gear being used with other non-Naim gear such as streamers.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Sounds like an earth loop. There's a sure-fire way to check it: Don't plug the streamer's phono plugs into the Naim's sockets - just touch the earth part of the plug to the earth part of the socket and see if that creates a hum. If so, it's an earth loop problem.
    How do I do that?

I'm Mike.

The streamer is now disconnected from the Nait 5 amp, as I connected my turntable via a Nakamichi ca-5 pre amp (tape out to Aux), and the streamer buzzing was so loud I could hear it over quiet parts of music. So now disconnected obviously no hum at all. But I just went over to have a look at streamer and with it still being disconnected I touched the back of it and a slight (but quieter) hum came out of the speakers!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Try an optical cable.
    Would that work? The Nait 5 has only din sockets.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    ??? With your fingers?
    You pick up the phono plug on the end of the interconnect using your fingers (or feet if you prefer) and touch the outer part of the plug to the outer part of the socket so the two earth contacts touch each other but the "live" bits don't.
    Aah, sorry I misread that. So touch the phono lead to the earth socket as in socket on the wall?

+ Reply to Thread