+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What turntable floats ones boat?

I'm Mark.

I'm currently running the following

SME 20/2 turntable
    SME V tonearm
    ZYX R50 Bloom 3 H
    Nordost TYR tonearm cable

To me it sounds fantastic, but i dont have much to comapre it against.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    He can't be that successful if he's reluctant to sell his wares. Bit like an alcoholic landlord!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Think he's his biggest customer and she says the Rockport are his personal collection, he does have many other regular brands such as sme,kodo,techdas and others which he sells. Not many dealers these days seem enthusiastic to have a system at home so good on him I say.

I used to visit Branko of audio freaks at home some years back. I always admired him for having a system consisting of many items that he did not stock and of course a few he did.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 07-08-2018 at 05:59.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    So have you used a Decca with a Phantom? Or even with a Mission 774?
    No. I have only used a Decca Mk.III and Mk.IV (H4E) in a Decca ffss Super arm, and the SC4E, three Mk.Vs, as well as a Mk.VI in an Infinity 'Black Widow' arm, as well as various SME 3009s (all fitted with a damping dashpot). And briefly in a Keith Monks M9BA arm (a unipivot design, which of necessity is damped).

Of all these arms, setting up a Decca cartridge in the Decca arm was the most 'straightforward' and trouble free, but probably not offering the most optimum operating environment. Acoustically, the best arrangement in my experience was with a 'good' sample of a Decca Mk.V ('Blue') mounted in a heavy Sumiko headshell and fitted to an SME 3009 (non-improved) arm with light damping.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-08-2018 at 23:04. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Pete.

I'm using a Linn LP12 (late 1980S I think, recent Hercules board fitted) with an Ittok LVII arm and a Kiseki Blue Gold Spot moving coil cartridge originally purchased in 1988, damaged in 1991 and recently retipped with a microridge stylus/boron cantilever by Northwest Analogue http://www.northwestanalogue.com/ - excellent job Dominic

I'm Russell.

I’ve been quite happy with my VPI Scout, but one turntable I’ve been looking at lately is the Scheu Laufwerk. If I could find a used one for a reasonable price I could see me buying one. Even some of the less expensive Scheu ‘tables are quite impressive.

I’ve always fancied a Triplanar tonearm, but used ones are rare and new ones are expensive! And Reed is also very appealing, again, expensive. But when I win the lotto look out!

Russell

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’ve been quite happy with my VPI Scout, but one turntable I’ve been looking at lately is the Scheu Laufwerk. If I could find a used one for a reasonable price I could see me buying one. Even some of the less expensive Scheu ‘tables are quite impressive.

I’ve always fancied a Triplanar tonearm, but used ones are rare and new ones are expensive! And Reed is also very appealing, again, expensive. But when I win the lotto look out!

Russell
    The Sheu turntables seem to make nice music compared to many of the german manufacturers who tend to err on the lean and clean side of things but always superbly built.

I heard the Laufwerk with the Reed tonearm and a Airtight cartridge sounding very enjoyable indeed.

I owned a Triplanar in the 90s with a Kuzma reference I was a Audio freaks customer back then I found the build quality a bit flaky the I could never tighten the VTA tower enough it would wobble I was always convinced if that was a bit more solid it would improve things greatly. The midrange was very enjoyable but the bass being very soft and rounded indeed very spacious sounding. I reverted to a Kondo wired Sme V with Kondo arm lead which maybe not as spacious and open the overall sound was more even and solid with a well founded bass that I liked without being aggressive.

The more recent Triplanars have improved greatly in terms of build the new owner has put in so much attention to detail the arm feels much more solid, much easier to adjust and the lift lower now works flawlessly I still continue to hear some of that that softness in the bass its kind of rounded but still enjoyable.

I heard the 12 inch model recently in a system I am familiar with, and it was interesting it had a huge soundstage with solid vocals and lots of weight maybe still lacking a bit down bellow. Turntable and tonearm combinations are so interesting but so so difficult all about compromise getting the right cartridge to work is not easy either.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 07-08-2018 at 08:03.

I'm dave.

My main turntable is a Garrard 401 that I bought new along with a SME 3009 arm and Shure V15 cart now looking in to a new plinth ( one of those multi layer plywood ones if I have time I will make one myself )
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm Adam.

My current deck is a Nakamichi TX-1000 with SME 309 and Clearuadio MC Essence and it's very probably the best deck I have ever heard overall, although the Sony PS-X9 I also have runs it incredibly close, and betters it the bass.

But if I really had to keep only one, it would have to be my Garrard 301. Still sounds wonderful and it's a treasured possession as well, as it was bought new by my late uncle in 1964.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    My current deck is a Nakamichi TX-1000 with SME 309 and Clearuadio MC Essence and it's very probably the best deck I have ever heard overall, although the Sony PS-X9 I also have runs it incredibly close, and betters it the bass.

But if I really had to keep only one, it would have to be my Garrard 301. Still sounds wonderful and it's a treasured possession as well, as it was bought new by my late uncle in 1964.
    The TX-1000 is a wonderful turntable I have heard one with a FR66 sounding spectacular

I'm Paul.

The one that I own which is a Pioneer PL-90 Reference.
    I have owned many in the past but then after a long break from Hi-Fi decided to come back into the fold, and having researched this table 3 years ago I decided to hunt one down and so built my current system around it.
    In my search I signed up to 10 Hi-Fi forums both here in the U.K. North America and Germany, All the Auction websites, and many search sites, In 3 years had 4 possible's, 2 of which turned out to be fake, One had already sold just as I made the enquiry, and the last one was a link to a Canadian site which turned out to be the one, to say that I am happy with it is an understatement and well worth the effort.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast