+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New system opinion: Rotel 1572, Thorens 203, Focal Dome Flax, Sonos Connect

I'm Daniel.

Re sub and vibration, putting speakers behind me would isolate vibration quite a bit (see image in previous post). For critical applications, I will turn off any music.

Re better speakers with no sub, getting down to 32 Hz (lowest organ piano key) would take some rather big (and expensive) speakers. So 2.1 may still be the option, just as far away from my bench as possible. I am looking now at MartinLogan Motion 20, said to be excellent for music (as opposed to AV). They go down to 46 Hz. Inquired with ML re adequacy for a 4000 cubic foot room, or whether the Motion 40 (to 40 Hz) would be more suitable. Both could still benefit from a sub, I recon.

I'm Phil.

there is loads of info on the martin logan forum on the motion speakers . do a search and you will find plenty of support

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...n+logan+motion
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Daniel.

Thanks for the pointer to the ML forum. Poked around a bit, but could not find much new info. May have to check out the local BestBuy, which is a scary proposition.

I'm Daniel.

So I have nailed down a system:
    Old:
    Furman 1U line conditioner
    Marantz 6600 CD
    [possibly Paradigm PDR8]

New
    Rotel RA1572
    Thorens 203 white with Ortofon blue
    Sonos Connect
    Bowers & Wilkins 705 on stands

Thanks for everybody's help in getting it sorted out. Not sure when it will arrive. Will post some baby pictures :-)

I'm Russell.

Sounds like a nice setup. I’m sure it will be more than impressive. Every Audiophile starts somewhere! I’m afraid there is no absolute perfect way to choose a system for a room, trial and error is still the best way. You may love your system! And not change it for 20 years! As I did with my previous system, but it took me a few tries to get there. But that’s why it’s a hobby, there is pleasure to be had in the journey. You’ve definitely got a great start! Be sure to keep us informed as it goes!

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12