+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics SL-10 versus SL-7 - a VERY brief review

I'm Mike.

Default Technics SL-10 versus SL-7 - a VERY brief review

I've now done hours and hours of AB comparisons between my Technics SL-10 and SL-7 decks.

I’ve been using the same carts (Technics EPC-202c, Ortofon OM20, ADC PSX-40, Technics 310MC) same music, kit (see signature below), room etc and to my ears, there is no doubt about it; other than with the 310MC cart, the SL-7 is the better sounding deck. Not by a massive margin but definitely better.
    Just a touch more open, more cohesive, even a quieter background. A bit of a surprise, but that is how I hear it.

With the 310 cart though, the tables are reversed a bit. I guess the SL-10 was built, primarily, to be optimised with the 310MC. As they are virtually unobtainium at sensible money, it seems a bit of a non selling point now.

The SL-1O looks nicer though.

End of mini review.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    I've now done hours and hours of AB comparisons between my Technics SL-10 and SL-7 decks.

I’ve been using the same carts (Technics EPC-202c, Ortofon OM20, ADC PSX-40, Technics 310MC) same music, kit (see signature below), room etc and to my ears, there is no doubt about it; other than with the 310MC cart, the SL-7 is the better sounding deck. Not by a massive margin but definitely better.
    Just a touch more open, more cohesive, even a quieter background. A bit of a surprise, but that is how I hear it.

With the 310 cart though, the tables are reversed a bit. I guess the SL-10 was built, primarily, to be optimised with the 310MC. As they are virtually unobtainium at sensible money, it seems a bit of a non selling point now.

The SL-1O looks nicer though.

End of mini review.
    I can't see how it's technically possible (let alone commercially desirable) to optimise a deck for a specific cartridge.

Are you sure what you are hearing isn't just the synergy/compliance match between Technics cartridge and arm, vs mismatch/less synergy?

I would expect the SP10 with a truly top flight arm and cartridge to come well ahead of the SL-7 under almost any circumstances.

I'm Mike.

It's an SL-10 Tom, not an SP10

Yes, I too would expect an SP10 to comprehensively trounce an SL-10 or SL-7

I'm Richard.

Hi Mike, can you tell me which interconnects you're using between the 10 and the pre in comparison to the fixed ones from the 7?

I'm Mike.

Hi Richard,

Klotz MC5000

Mike

montesquieu Guest

It's an SL-10 Tom, not an SP10

Yes, I too would expect an SP10 to comprehensively trounce an SL-10 or SL-7
    If all else fails read the thing properly!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    If all else fails read the thing properly!
    Must admit I also read that as SP-10 just then. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Must admit I also read that as SP-10 just then. :P
    Sorry, couldn't have made it any clearer

I'm Martin.

I had an SL6 for a while. It was quite impressive especially for £75 off ebay. I like a linear tracker.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Sorry, couldn't have made it any clearer
    Touché!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread