+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible system inbalance

I'm Shaun.

Default Possible system inbalance

I don't know what is going on with my system lately but since moving in to this new cottage and changing to Spendor S3/5R2's I am aware of a potential inbalance in the presentation. With all CD's I have listened to there is a huge cavernous space of air and acoutsic to the far right of the right hand speaker but there is no such thing to the left of the left hand speaker. This is rather annoying to say the least. Anyway, with this in mind, here is what I have checked:

Swapped over the speakers - no change

Swapped over the speaker cables - no change

Swapped over all interconnects - no change

Swapped over all preamp valves including the rectifiers - no change

Swapped over all power amp signal valves - no change

So far all I haven't done is swap over the EL34's and swap over the digital coax cable for another make. I am starting to think that it may well be the room that is causing this oddity.

Any suggestions..?

I'm Grant.

maybe the room Shaun
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I've had a similar problem and it was the room, or rather the position of the speakers in the room. It did not occur with all speakers, just some. Moving the speakers resolved the problem.

My room is not symmetrical on either side of the speakers, on one side is a plain wall, on the other a long alcove between 2 chimney breasts. Until I experienced it I would not have thought that this would make such a noticeable difference to the sound. When it was suggested to me as the cause I was sceptical. But I moved the speakers anyway and it was indeed the problem.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have you tried reversing phase on one of the speaker connections?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Shaun.

No Ali I haven't. Macca, sounds familiar. My room is a very vague L shape in which there is more room behind me to the right than there is to my left. This is why I think it has to be the room. Also, I have never encountered a pair of speakers that are so directional ever before. The slightest movement of each speaker makes a huge difference.

I'm Martin.

Maybe swap to some big Tannoys, they don't seem to care where you plonk them.

Are your speakers quite tall? I only have the issue with tall speakers, 5 foot or so.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Maybe swap to some big Tannoys, they don't seem to care where you plonk them.

Are your speakers quite tall? I only have the issue with tall speakers, 5 foot or so.
    Hell no mate, speakers are LS3/5a wannabee's on Atacama stands at around 24" tall. Stunning speakers by my own standards but very bloody picky.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Hell no mate, speakers are LS3/5a wannabee's on Atacama stands at around 24" tall. Stunning speakers by my own standards but very bloody picky.
    I had an imbalance in my room along with some boom on the bass. The speakers are very close to a Piano and also in the corner of the room. It was causing all sorts of issues. On the suggestions of STD305 (Steve) we added some foam to try and decouple the speakers from the stands a bit and I have put a few egg boxes in the troublesome corner. The balance is greatly improved and bass is much firmer.

It's a PITA but with a few bits of information you can balance the room a bit better.

A couple of pics to demonstrate.

Obviously, once I've got everything right, I'll make much better looking bits

I'm Martin.

Do you play the Joanna, Oli?
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Do you play the Joanna, Oli?
    Not very well it's the gaffers. I can do a somewhat legible "imagine" and a few very easy songs but I never fancied it too much. I'm a guitar man. Bass, lead and rythm, banjo. Play drums and took Cello in my formative years too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast