+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of my garden

I'm Svend.

Ben - the Man Cave is coming along nicely! Great job. That thing in the second picture with the chimney (under the cover) -- is that another smoker? You also have a Weber Smoky Mtn, no?

It's interesting to see pics of garden designs over there. Quite different from how people do it here. I like it, and am taking mental notes for our forthcoming garden redesign.

Best,
    Svend

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Ben - the Man Cave is coming along nicely! Great job. That thing in the second picture with the chimney (under the cover) -- is that another smoker? You also have a Weber Smoky Mtn, no?

It's interesting to see pics of garden designs over there. Quite different from how people do it here. I like it, and am taking mental notes for our forthcoming garden redesign.

Best,
    Svend
    Hi Sven,

Thanks for the comments mate, pretty pleased with it all told.

Yes we Have a Smokey Mountain which we use a great deal and is a really versatile bit of kit that we have had for about 3 years now. We also have a pizza oven type bbq and a smaller rotisserie stle one as well. The Pizza oven is great for well pizza's and calzones and roasts. The rotisserie was bought on a whim and has only been used a handful of times. My wife is now obsessed with getting a large Webber Kettle which she insists will be a brillian "all rounder" and we can then get ride of at least 1 or 2 of the others but I know her it, she refuses to get rid of anything!!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Here's the pizza oven in all its glory! It was a cheap introduction to bbqing before we knew any better but still gets a lot of summer use.

What are you cooking on over in canada then?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

Looks good Ben! You're really into the bbq/grilling thing. Nice!

We have two main grills -- a 13 year old Weber Genesis grill that runs off the natural gas line to the house (no propane tanks to fill!); and a ceramic charcoal smoker grill (similar to the Big Green Egg, if you're familiar). The latter is a Japanese kamado design and is a really fantastic thing. We use it for smoking, slow roasting, and occasional high temp grilling.

The Weber is our daily driver - it sits (along with the Kamado) on a small side deck right off the kitchen, literally four steps away from the kitchen stove. We can have stuff going on the stove and grill at the same time, and it becomes just an extension of the kitchen.

We grill rain or shine and all winter long...just shovel the snow off the deck and we're in business.

Also, when we want a really good steak I pull out a little Weber Smoky Joe portable charcoal grill. It puts the meat within inches of the glowing coals and gives a perfect sear...nothing like it when we have a nice ribeye or T-bone on the menu.

If you want a single replacement for your Weber smoker and pizza oven and kettle grill, then take a serious look at a good ceramic Kamado like the Big Green Egg (if they're available over there). They can do it all. I dare say smoking and slow roasting is probably easier than in your Weber - once it comes up to temp and the vents are set, then it will hold steady all day with no fussing, with maybe only one quick intervention to rake the coals and maybe add a few more. The walls are 1-1/4 inch thick ceramic and really retain the heat. They are fantastic. Highly recommended.

Svend

Edit: the Egg is indeed sold in the UK: https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk

I'm Ben.

Looks good Ben! You're really into the bbq/grilling thing. Nice!

We have two main grills -- a 13 year old Weber Genesis grill that runs off the natural gas line to the house (no propane tanks to fill!); and a ceramic charcoal smoker grill (similar to the Big Green Egg, if you're familiar). The latter is a Japanese kamado design and is a really fantastic thing. We use it for smoking, slow roasting, and occasional high temp grilling.

The Weber is our daily driver - it sits (along with the Kamado) on a small side deck right off the kitchen, literally four steps away from the kitchen stove. We can have stuff going on the stove and grill at the same time, and it becomes just an extension of the kitchen.

We grill rain or shine and all winter long...just shovel the snow off the deck and we're in business.

Also, when we want a really good steak I pull out a little Weber Smoky Joe portable charcoal grill. It puts the meat within inches of the glowing coals and gives a perfect sear...nothing like it when we have a nice ribeye or T-bone on the menu.

If you want a single replacement for your Weber smoker and pizza oven and kettle grill, then take a serious look at a good ceramic Kamado like the Big Green Egg (if they're available over there). They can do it all. I dare say smoking and slow roasting is probably easier than in your Weber - once it comes up to temp and the vents are set, then it will hold steady all day with no fussing, with maybe only one quick intervention to rake the coals and maybe add a few more. The walls are 1-1/4 inch thick ceramic and really retain the heat. They are fantastic. Highly recommended.

Svend

Edit: the Egg is indeed sold in the UK: https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk
    That sounds great Svend,

You sound very similar to us in terms of a love of cooking outside. We do it as much as we can especially anything to steak related!!

Within the last few weeks we have had some absolutely delicious Mutton chops, Pulled Pork, short ribs and various steaks & whatnot. My wife is a former restaurant chef who now manages a college canteen and so she has a huge passion for anything food & drink related which has worn off a lot on me thankfully!

I'm aware of the Big green egg style smokers, they look great and get a lot of very positive reviews but are quite expensive over here.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Some recent BBQ related stuff we have cooked.

Brisket looks a bit dry but was lovely and moist.

The photos don't really do it all justice but I can assure you it tasted amazing.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

The food looks fantastic Ben! If one didn't know where you were, you'd think it was the southern US -- they are crazy for brisket, pulled pork and such down there. Good one! I like the pic with your shoe in it -- imagine that just out of view is a pint of cold beer

Since you like pork shoulder, try Mexican or Puerto Rican pork sometime -- it's an overnight marinade in spicy wet rub, then a long slow cook the next day. Delicious! Or try an Italian porchetta roast using shoulder or pork belly -- tastes amazing from the smoker!

Yes, the green eggs are expensive, but it's a lifetime investment. It will never rust or otherwise wear out. Very economical on charcoal use as well- about 1/3 what a regular grill uses - so you're at least saving a bit there. There are less expensive ones available -- ours is made by Vision Grills, and was about 30% less than the Green Egg. All stainless parts and hard ceramic, so very well made. Primo Grills are supposed to be good as well.

I'm Ben.

The food looks fantastic Ben! If one didn't know where you were, you'd think it was the southern US -- they are crazy for brisket, pulled pork and such down there. Good one! I like the pic with your shoe in it -- imagine that just out of view is a pint of cold beer

Since you like pork shoulder, try Mexican or Puerto Rican pork sometime -- it's an overnight marinade in spicy wet rub, then a long slow cook the next day. Delicious! Or try an Italian porchetta roast using shoulder or pork belly -- tastes amazing from the smoker!

Yes, the green eggs are expensive, but it's a lifetime investment. It will never rust or otherwise wear out. Very economical on charcoal use as well- about 1/3 what a regular grill uses - so you're at least saving a bit there. There are less expensive ones available -- ours is made by Vision Grills, and was about 30% less than the Green Egg. All stainless parts and hard ceramic, so very well made. Primo Grills are supposed to be good as well.
    Thanks Svend,

I think there has been a bit of a "low & Slow" BBQ explosion over here over the last few years with a lot of the inspiration coming from the southern American BBQ chefs. When I was a kid it was only ever burnt burgers & sausages on the BBQ, its come a long way since then!!

I will definitely look up your recommendations, we are always on the look out for new stuff to try. I'm currently on the look out for something interesting for our Xmas dinner cook, we usually go with beef but fancy a change this year.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Svend.

Well, if you were to ask a Canadian or American what to cook at Thanksgiving or Christmas, then the answer is almost always "Turkey!". Which comes out wonderfully in the smoker, by the way . Much more moist than in a regular kitchen oven.

How about duck or goose? I've got those on my list of things to try in the kamado, but haven't gotten to one yet. Porchetta roast can be made into a very nice meal, if done right. I'd bet crown roast of pork or lamb would make a classy Christmas dinner too.

Damn, I'm getting hungry here! Isn't it lunchtime yet?

I'm Ben.

Well, if you were to ask a Canadian or American what to cook at Thanksgiving or Christmas, then the answer is almost always "Turkey!". Which comes out wonderfully in the smoker, by the way . Much more moist than in a regular kitchen oven.

How about duck or goose? I've got those on my list of things to try in the kamado, but haven't gotten to one yet. Porchetta roast can be made into a very nice meal, if done right. I'd bet crown roast of pork or lamb would make a classy Christmas dinner too.

Damn, I'm getting hungry here! Isn't it lunchtime yet?
    Actually I'm pretty sure we had smoked Turkey a few years ago, from memory it was brined for 24 hours before cooking and was as you say lovely & moist.

Lamb is my current favourite so that's a definite possibility, Duck as well would make a superb option!!

Its 5pm here so some way off dinner time unfortunately but I might just go check the fridge for a snack!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast