+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of my garden

I'm Ben.

Default Photos of my garden

This has been the first year we (wife & I) have really put some effort into our back garden. We've owned our house for 6 years now and have usually really just maintained the boarders and grass that we inherited from the previous owners.

What started this project off was that about 3 months ago I was wandering around site (I'm a surveyor working on a mixture of commercial projects at any one time) and I noticed we had a load of scaffold boards that would be getting skipped. The thought of some free materials got me thinking and id soon decided to rip out the horrible garden hedge we had and replace it with a raised planter with the idea of growing some vegetables.

After I'd filled the planter with a mixture of topsoil (again a free-bie from site) and compost we planted a mixture of courgettes, carrots, onions, beetroot, butternut squash, runner beans and I think some lemon grass.

I then realised that I still had a load of scaffold boards left over and I could probably just about make a decked area out of them to provide a nice space for BBQ'ing and outdoor dining. This tied in with replacing our ageing shed with a new one and eventually lead to fitting a smoked polycarbonate roof to keep the rain off as well. All of this was done by my own fair hands with a few tools and a lot of looking at youtube videos and talking to guys on sites for inspiration / advice.

As the project progressed we looked at getting rid of some of our lawn and introducing more paved / stoned areas which should be better in winter (the lawn usually gets too wet boggy due to the clay below). We added another raised boarded and introduced some nicer flowers to hopefully attract bees & butterfly's etc. And for a final touch I decided that it would be nice to hear the sounds of some water so I'm mid way through constructing a raised pond where we intend to have a few goldfish, plants and a fountain.

That's pretty much taken up a good chunk of my weekends and evenings lately but its been such a nice sense of achievement, sitting outside in the evening is now a real joy.....
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

How it looked to start

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Raised veg planter

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Building the planter

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

BBQ decked area

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Bigman80 Guest

Very nice.

I'm Ben.

Butternut squash, carotts, flowers etc

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Still got some finishing off to do yet but overall I'm very pleased with it so far.

The pond probably needs a power supply to it for the pump but I think I may get it up and running with a solar one and see how we go.

I'm not 100% happy on the polycarbonate roof & think I need to remove it and adjust the overhang onto the shed roof (could do with another 50mm really I think).

Then we need to try and teach the dog to only p*ss on the stone and not the grass, id love a decent looking lawn but I suspect that that may be far harder than anything that's gone before......lol
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Grant.

yup very nicely done. got a pond too, but no power there now. used to be pumped and filtered but changed it to country pond. i pump it out every now and then and refill. only 1 fish left; need to restock, but lots of amphibians. its a good idea to make a in/out point for them or if they go in they cant get out and drown
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup very nicely done. got a pond too, but no power there now. used to be pumped and filtered but changed it to country pond. i pump it out every now and then and refill. only 1 fish left; need to restock, but lots of amphibians. its a good idea to make a in/out point for them or if they go in they cant get out and drown
    TBH I probably need to give the pond a bit more thought before actually getting the liner in and filling it up...........
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast