+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave up on vinyl

I'm Mike.

Although it's different (but not a lot), my valved CDP does all the usuals as well as my record player; on good discs, that is. For sheer dynamics and musical immersion, there's little between them; however, I've vastly more records than CDs so 3 out of 4 sessions are on vinyl.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The only digital device I have heard that can match vinyl for 3D soundstage and particularly depth is the DAVE DAC. Simply awesome and sounds very analogue. Chord are definitely onto something with that DAC and if they keep going they will nail all aspects of the audio performance and probably move beyond vinyls capabilities.
    And will still insist on unnecessary expensive and extravagant machining of the housings and 'bling' cosmetics.
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Sorry but the Chord Dave is one of the most mechanical sounding dacs ever constructed imho

Impressive and exciting yes up to the lack of 3dimensionality and real palpability solid sounding Yes, but it lacks textural layering and total-note decay and micro detail. Plenty of upfront detailing , however it reminds me very much of Naim lots of leading edge but not much after that
    Also when comparing with any other dac do level match the Dave as you may find the analogue output voltage is well over six volts in balanced mode and northwards of four volts in single ended

Plenty of other genuinely musical digital to analogue converters out there and valves not required for good digital output stages

I have an original dac 64 the one with the small torroid transformer that it not to bad, more engaging less Chord like
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Although it's different (but not a lot), my valved CDP does all the usuals as well as my record player; on good discs, that is. For sheer dynamics and musical immersion, there's little between them; however, I've vastly more records than CDs so 3 out of 4 sessions are on vinyl.
    I agree - the two approaches are both equally good and equally poor. And both are as only good as the recorded software, which in either case can leave much to be desired.

I have about the same number of recordings on CD as I do on vinyl. New recordings are on CD, whereas I 'mine' the charity shops for good quality, vintage, classical vinyl.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Probably got more cds than vinyl now and mostly use digital but still overall prefer vinyl for the total experience.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Sorry but the Chord Dave is one of the most mechanical sounding dacs ever constructed imho

Impressive and exciting yes up to the lack of 3dimensionality and real palpability solid sounding Yes, but it lacks textural layering and total-note decay and micro detail. Plenty of upfront detailing , however it reminds me very much of Naim lots of leading edge but not much after that
    Also when comparing with any other dac do level match the Dave as you may find the analogue output voltage is well over six volts in balanced mode and northwards of four volts in single ended

Plenty of other genuinely musical digital to analogue converters out there and valves not required for good digital output stages

I have an original dac 64 the one with the small torroid transformer that it not to bad, more engaging less Chord like
    I have listened to DAVE a lot with the m-scaler and no way does it sound mechanical. You must have heard it in a rotten system to sound like that. It is the smoothest most analogue sounding DAC I have heard. And in terms of 3D soundstage and textural layering it is superb.

I really can't understand your listening experience led you to think it sounded the way you described it.

Hey ho we all hear diferently I suppose.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And will still insist on unnecessary expensive and extravagant machining of the housings and 'bling' cosmetics.
    I agree I hate the bling look and styling of all Chord components never mind the DACs.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Regarding the digital versus analogue debate and still involving Marco, my own personal findings are that where photography is concerned, silver halide based imaging produces a depth of quality that extends way deeper than the surface of the paper onto which it is printed and reproduces a range of mid tones that are massive and of exceptional quality. Digital on the other hand impresses because it is dynamic and graphic and very initially over powering. It also becomes obvious that as the image resolution goes up and up to beyond 40mp that the overall image becomes more and more detached from reality. It reaches a point whereupon what you are looking at on paper is nothing like the image that was in front of your eyes.

My suggestion is that for me, digital audio is almost identical. As the resolution goes up and up so the detachment from reality also increases.

In photography one is forced to work in a darkroom with toxic chemicals and powerful irritants; with audio one is forced to endure the aspects of using a turntable and all of its bits and pieces.

I guess with all things you pay your money and you make your choice.

I'm Clive.

There are differences in opinion over Chord DACs as per the comments over DAVE. It's interesting to read this review of HUGO 2: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/1...hone-amplifier

For all its technical greatness, however, the Hugo 2 simply doesn’t sound musical. Vocals are that one degree too cool, the treble is that little touch too sharp and punchy, and the balance is simply off. There’s no humanity to the music that comes from the Hugo 2, and that becomes apparent over a longer listening session with good headphones.

We get into the the fine detail of what analogue means to us. An important part of analogue for myself is about musical flow and atmosphere, with flow being the No 1 priority. Hyper detail and a great sound stage can deliver the atmosphere but flow as I call it is tougher, it's often more what a NOS DAC delivers rather vs a squeaky clean DAC.
    Last edited by Clive; 07-08-2018 at 09:41.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    [I]For all its technical greatness, however, the Hugo 2 simply doesn’t sound musical. Vocals are that one degree too cool, the treble is that little touch too sharp and punchy, and the balance is simply off. There’s no humanity to the music...
    Sounds like something that's been designed on technical spec, more than musical ability, a process which needs final voicing by ear, and from that description, I doubt the Hugo's been outside of a test lab....

If that's the case then, Clive, it DEFO won't be my thing, as what's written above is fundamentally what I *hate* about modern digital equipment - and why I prefer the best vintage CDPs and DACs, as their 'voicing' and musical presentation is the polar opposite of what's described!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast