Thread: Gave up on vinyl

I'm Tony.

Hi Alan

All Done
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Agree on the SEG, currently using one with a Longdog PS, gives little or nothing away to the Mytek Brooklyn I was using previously, except remote control lol.
    Hi Ali

The SEG can be improved by quite away still by internal upgrades and power supplies beyond LD's

The nos dads have a certain sound which appeals to quite a few
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Ian.

In the context of this debate I was thinking this morning about the olden days of television. Much of what was broadcast was on film but some was on VCR and the difference was obvious with VCR not fairing well in the comparison. It was even more obvious when some programmes were part film, part VCR such as in a mix of outside shoots and studio work. Nowadays TV programmes shot digitally are fine and often look quite filmic. In the same way digital music has come along way so that it is a perfectly enjoyable experience but not imho quite there yet in comparison with good old analogue.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Hi Jimbo

I will qualify my thoughts for you regarding the Dave:-

My experience with the Dave is quite extensive having had six units pass through our doors since October 2016, we have ran the units with quality musical highly resolving systems that have the ability to demonstrate what the equipment is or isn't capable of

Imho the Dave works best with slightly warmer fuller sounding systems based on our experience with former Dave customers set ups and our own systems in the studio

The m scaler is delivering what a good upsampler would deliver (if the device is correctly implemented ) a wider and deeper sound stage improved note separation and maybe if used in a direct red book multipule better bass definition as well. Also included in many up-samplers are some form of extra reclocking latches / jitter reduction /PLL contained within SRC chips or in FPGA dsp hardware

We also have one of the lowest system noise floor currently available so it is very easy to identify even. The smallest differences between equipment in a working genuine listening environment

The Dave combination is impressive I have acknowledged that fact just like the dac 64 which did give CD's at that point in time a shot in the arm without question but a long term listenability not a chance

One last point I would like to make all of the Daves that have passed through our hands have been traded back within six to nine months of their original purchase

Chord electronics, being a British company that does well which is a nice positive feel and we should be thankful of some good manufacturing news. In the U.K. The brand decides opinion in the trade I personally have always felt it was an English Krell but with more Space 1999 casework. I am not anti Chord at all I just do not believe all of the hype. This also applies to many other Audio companies as well

I have no doubt that it will do well here in the U.K. But the acid test is in that time frame I mentioned how many will be on the market?

The Dave does keep its used value which is big positive for the owners

Imho the Hugo is the most engaging dac Chord make not the TT version

After all 1 million taps is an audiophile's dream.
    Your customers can't think much of DAVE then if they all came back within 6 months. Maybe they ought to have bought a SEG and saved £7700!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    In the context of this debate I was thinking this morning about the olden days of television. Much of what was broadcast was on film but some was on VCR and the difference was obvious with VCR not fairing well in the comparison. It was even more obvious when some programmes were part film, part VCR such as in a mix of outside shoots and studio work. Nowadays TV programmes shot digitally are fine and often look quite filmic. In the same way digital music has come along way so that it is a perfectly enjoyable experience but not imho quite there yet in comparison with good old analogue.
    I have to agree with your comments here. There are definite areas where digital is nothing short of a revelation within communications for example but once again it is quite sad that this has primarily been put to use in war and death and destruction. I think that TV is a huge step beyond where it used to be.

I'm Edward.

A lot of music played via digital means is just awful to listen to as no dithering was applied in the mastering process when going from say 24 bit to 16 bit - the music was simply truncated.

Similarly in the digital image world dither is useful for mitigating the effects of going from 16 bit to 8 bit.

Done well digital will become analogue in quality.

Noise can be beautiful, distortion is never.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

I posted earlier, the post has not shown, so here goes.

I had the mini Bake Off with Stoyan present. I encouraged him to pick up the Sony CDP, so he could listen to it through my evolving set up.
    The schedule we worked with was CDP for a few tracks which Stoyan is familiar with, to assess how my system worked with the CDP, done a platform exchange as well to Phonotherm, I think it impressed as the Phonotherm, left with the CDP.
    Then we chose a Phonostage to use in the Bake Off, VAS Valve MM, with Hashimoto HA-3 vs DIGNA.
    It is amazing how they are differing, but each is extremely attractive to the ear. For the added weight in the replay the VAS remained in place.
    The interconnects were different, Stoyans DIY OCC Pure Silver on the CDP, and my recently purchased silver plated cables from Vas to Slagle AVC, and copper cable from HA-3 to VAS.
    The AVC has three inputs, so swapping between sources was a simple matter of a rotary switch selection.
    Volume on the Same Title, Vinyl / CD was varying, the best match was Alicia Keys 'Songs in A Minor'.
    I was chief switcher, it was apparent immediately that there was a very close match from both mediums, the were slight differences picked up, a more prominent vocal, or instrument, but both were equally impressive.
    Stoyan had the Sweet Spot, on the Esl 57's and I trust his judgement in relation to the staging, he felt on few tracks the CD expanded beyond the speakers further than the Vinyl. He also felt the Vinyl had a less coloured lower bass note.
    I felt it was a case of if any medium was being replayed for a period with out the switching, a listener would relax in to the replay and be totally happy with what they were listening to.
    Not bad if you take a £7000 Vinyl Set Up, vs a £1200 Valve + other Mod's Sony CDP.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Noise can be beautiful, distortion is never.
    It's not bad when applied to a Gibson Les Paul

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Hi Ali

The SEG can be improved by quite away still by internal upgrades and power supplies beyond LD's

The nos dads have a certain sound which appeals to quite a few
    Yes, have the components from Stan, not got round to it yet.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    It's not bad when applied to a Gibson Les Paul

Ah yes indeed!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223