+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave up on vinyl

I'm Hal.

Now that I have retired and downsized I'm finding the convenience of digital and headphones very alluring. Still have my SP10 and all my original gear, but at this stage CD/Lite Dac60 with Bugle Boys/Tim DeParavicini Headcase headphone amp into either Jays U-jays or AUDIO Technica AD900s is keeping me happy.
    Despite downsizing the hifi into a bedroom system I'm not enjoying music less, but i am enjoying life more.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

Bigman80 Guest

Some people just don't get it Jim!!!

Vinyl is beautiful. To look at, to feel, to listen to.

I Never get that from digital.

I don't suppose everyone is looking for the same thing from their music collection. There is no right or wrong format. Just each others preferred method. As long as we are enjoying the music, it doesn't matter much.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    ........I don't suppose everyone is looking for the same thing from their music collection. There is no right or wrong format. Just each others preferred method. As long as we are enjoying the music, it doesn't matter much.
    Quite right Oliver. I've no problem with Shaun saying that he is very happy switching to digital, it's damn convenient and can sound very good. However, I do have a bit of a problem with Shaun saying it is superior to vinyl. Sure, vinyl requires a lot of care to set up right and software can be problematic but once set up it should stay right and the quality with good recordings is imho superior. I'll continue to use and enjoy both formats but digital is like a shop bought ready meal, convenient and OK but nothing like home cooked.

I'm gone.

I agree it can't be right to say that one sounds better than the other intrinsically - it all depends on the gear you use to replay it.
    You can only ever say that a particular system sounds better or worse to your ears.

You can certainly imo 'tune' vinyl replay to your own preferences more easily, there is so much variation in the sounds of carts/arms/tts/stages -way more than with digital playback gear.
    It's just a giant tone control, really!

I'm Mike.

In response to Ian's post (Jerry got in the way ).

This is exactly how I feel about it.

Digital can be perfectly adequate to enjoy music to, but for the real thing it has to be analogue.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I understand what you are saying but of course the output from my MDAC is analogue and so therefore is the output from the speakers.
    Similar thoughts crossed my mind.

I use CD and records and find them equally enjoyable.

I'm Simon.

Anyone else find it annoying how these threads always turn into a cd vs vinyl debate? I don't mean here specifically but on all forums I read. It's a bit silly if you ask me because both formats have their pros and cons. Vinyl is not superior to cd and vice versa. They are different ways to enjoy the music.

I must admit that myself personally I don't enjoy the faff of vinyl but I put up with it for the sound quality because I usually choose it over digital if the master is superior. I do enjoy the larger art and the excitement of lowering the stylus, I just wish the overall quality in manufacturing was more consistent because it gets so tiring dealing with warps, off centre pressings, non-fill, gauges/scratches, etc.

I've tried to cut back on vinyl but with many CDs/downloads being brickwalled these days, the vinyl is usually better mastered. Saying that, it's still a gamble because there are plenty of modern pressings which just use the CD master, tweaked a bit so it can be cut.

I'm inactive.

There seems to be a tendency to reduce the topic to 'convenience v true art' and also over-simplify the delivery of music by digital means (and overcomplicate the use of vinyl)

Things have moved on a lot since 'plug and play' CD delivery and, as the "RPI software choices" thread above this one shows, digital delivery can be every bit as frustrating as setting up a deck for the first time - as to the rest, what comes after the source can be infinitesimally 'tuned' in both cases so I think some of the generalisations about both directions are not really that fruitful.

As many have said in this discussion, it is possible to have both and get equal pleasure regardless of delivery technology. My choice to stick with digital is mostly down to the realisation that to better the vinyl delivery I currently have I would be looking at certainly hundreds - possibly thousands - of pounds of investment and I simply don't see that as worthwhile for achieving what is essentially a marginal edge.

If I want to experience the true 'joy of vinyl' I can simply look at the full sized record sleeve while I listen to a lossless rip of the tracks

Bigman80 Guest

I've had a fairly decent level of Digital playback here and enjoyed it immensely.

I have invested heavily In vinyl replay and had I chosen to do that with digital instead, I am sure it would be as good. Maybe.

It's a means to an end for us all, to listen to the music.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Some people just don't get it Jim!!!

Vinyl is beautiful. To look at, to feel, to listen to.

I Never get that from digital.

I don't suppose everyone is looking for the same thing from their music collection. There is no right or wrong format. Just each others preferred method. As long as we are enjoying the music, it doesn't matter much.
    Don't forget the smell! Polycarbonate just doesn't smell as nice as vinyl (especially 1950's or 1960's vinyl).

And yes, those awful polycarbonate 'jewel cases' are just designed to crack and splinter and to damage the equally awful 'sleeve note' booklets.

Apart from that, CDs are to me an equally acceptable means of enjoying music. I use both, but I have probably spent twenty or more times the amount on vinyl replay equipment as I have on CD replay.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast