+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave up on vinyl

I'm Edward.

I'm finding listening to streaming music (Tidal via Roon) is giving me a similar experience to what I had in the 70s and 80s listening to vinyl.

Different in the actual format of course but similar in that I'm learning lots of new music and listening again to stuff I've not heard for ages. This is considerably enhanced by the deep metadata, artwork, lyrics, bios, connections and history that Roon makes available. A lot of this is often displayed on a large screen whilst listening. Akin to holding an LP and reading all the stuff.

Still hanging on to TTs and vinyl though. For now ....
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Russell.

I get it, my last analog setup was not that special, it sounded good, but I played more CD’s on average, seemed more convenient. At that time, I could have gone the same way, and gotten out of vinyl.

But my present vinyl system is a different matter. If has the power to evoke emotions, and most of all, one record leads to another, and another. I’ve actually got more money in my CD player, and it does sound amazing! But somehow, lacks that quality to make me want to keep choosing another, and another.

But I confess, I am caught in the nostalgia, all of my favorite recordings are on vinyl, from my favorite era of music, the 70’s, when Vinyl was King! I always tried not to buy duplicate titles when CD came out, so most of my CD’s are from the 80’s and 90’s. So, it seems my favorite recordings are on vinyl? Is it any wonder I appreciate them more? And frankly, replacing them all with digital copies, if that were even possible, sounds like a lot of trouble! I find that I spin vinyl less often as time passes, but on the occasions that I do, I can fully appreciate it, so I’ll be keeping it, for those occasions, no mater how rare they become. To each their own.

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It's a difficult question to answer because on many fronts it beats my turntable but that elusive quality you get from vinyl and tangible realism would still not be there. DAVE ticks a lot of boxes. Very low noise floor, massive dynamic ability and a very good handle on soundstage perspective. It is a very precise machine that delivers a huge performance but I question its musical ability to connect with the emotion of the music. Yes it has spades of detail and lots of acoustic information but honestly if you gave me one I would still prefer my vinyl and it would probably only come out for party tricks every now and then.

I guess it's like valve and transistor amps. I appreciate what trannies can do but as far as playing music valves win hands down for me. I probably like distortion mixed in with my music and this may well be what our brains like to hear?
    No problem, Jim. It'll be interesting when you get to hear my system [which *will* happen at some point soon] and see how close you think the CDP is to my T/T

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I'm finding listening to streaming music (Tidal via Roon) is giving me a similar experience to what I had in the 70s and 80s listening to vinyl.

Different in the actual format of course but similar in that I'm learning lots of new music and listening again to stuff I've not heard for ages. This is considerably enhanced by the deep metadata, artwork, lyrics, bios, connections and history that Roon makes available. A lot of this is often displayed on a large screen whilst listening. Akin to holding an LP and reading all the stuff.
    That's exactly what I was getting at earlier, Edward. Nice one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's exactly what I was getting at earlier, Edward. Nice one

Marco.
    The problem with digital is exactly that; "how close is gets"

That statement in itself, reveals that its second in ranking. Vinyl for me is the reference or the marker, that digital is trying to replicate.

That is the problem, its trying to replicate what an excellent Vinyl replay system can do. How many folk say "I'm trying to get my Vinyl setup as good as my digital one"?

Digital in a standalone format can be excellent, no doubt but as good as vinyl, I'm not so sure.

Apples and oranges.

I'm Edward.

I don't have as an aim to 'replicate vinyl' or even try to emulate it. I try to listen to music for its emotional drive, how it engages me and the 'art' of the musicians. A well set up vinyl set up gives me that (last Saturday Tom showed me what vinyl can do), equally a well set up digital set up gives me that. Different - I love them both. Like in art there is a difference between oils and water colours - both equally valid for conveying meaning.

The 'convenience' factor also plays a big part in this picture. But as they say YMMV.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I don't have as an aim to 'replicate vinyl' or even try to emulate it. I try to listen to music for its emotional drive, how it engages me and the 'art' of the musicians. A well set up vinyl set up gives me that (last Saturday Tom showed me what vinyl can do), equally a well set up digital set up gives me that. Different - I love them both. Like in art there is a difference between oils and water colours - both equally valid for conveying meaning.

The 'convenience' factor also plays a big part in this picture. But as they say YMMV.
    Fair point Ed, like I say, as long as we are getting what we want, there is no right or wrong.

Hi Ollie,

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The problem with digital is exactly that; "how close is gets"
    If you're referring to my reply to Jim, that's not what I meant. I meant how close the sound is between my CDP and T/T. That subtle difference makes the context rather different. Trust me, I could blindfold you and play two identical albums, one on vinyl and the other on CD, and you'd struggle to tell which is which

How many folk say "I'm trying to get my Vinyl setup as good as my digital one"?
    Actually, me (in certain respects)! I've discussed this before, but this isn't the thread to go through it all again.

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Ollie,

If you're referring to my reply to Jim, that's not what I meant. I meant how close the sound is between my CDP and T/T. Trust me, I could blindfold you and play two identical albums, one on vinyl and the other on CD, and you'd struggle to tell which is which

Actually, me! I've discussed this before, but this isn't the thread to go through it all again.

Marco.
    Challenge accepted!! Analogue v digital. Blind test, I'm up for that.

Yep, no need to go over old ground.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Challenge accepted!! Analogue v digital. Blind test, I'm up for that.

Yep, no need to go over old ground.
    Sounds like the next bake off

Years ago when I had a Rega RP1 it sounded worse than my CD player, totally lifeless, but using a decent TT these days makes me hardly want to listen to CD.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast