+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Gave up on vinyl

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There is zero connection between digital photography and digital audio so I don't really understand all the allusions to photography. if it is supposed to be an analogy I'm afraid it doesn't work.
    Actually it was Shaun who drew a parallel with his similar trajectory with analogue photography in post #10

But I will say that having followed very heated debates on photography forums in the past around the analogue/digital divide, the parallels are painfully obvious and I think it a more than apt analogy. Most of the same arguments were used revolving around pretty much the same ground - e.g. which conveys a sense of realism or communicates emotion better.

Even the technical areas of argument were very similar (not surprising really) - RAW V compressed files; resolution and dynamics; etc.etc. etc .... ad nauseam.
    Even equipment got the same treatment - 'the old days were the best ...'

I'm Neil.

Default Gave up on vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not heard your make of DAC Neil.?
    That’s because ‘Audial’ is Pedja Rogic, who does no marketing, builds to order, sells direct, and is a bit of a DIYAudio.com legend before he went professional. He is an extremely talented engineer who also knows the value in trusting his ears too. Doesn’t stop him measuring everything through. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Actually I was Shaun who drew a parallel with his similar trajectory with analogue photography in post #10

But I will say that having followed very heated debates on photography forums in the past around the analogue/digital divide, the parallels are painfully obvious and I think it a more than apt analogy. Most of the same arguments were used revolving around pretty much the same ground - e.g. which conveys a sense of realism or communicates emotion better.

Even the technical areas of argument are very similar (not surprising really) - RAW V compressed files; resolution and dynamics; etc.etc. etc .... ad nauseam.
    Even equipment gets the same treatment - 'the old days were the best'
    My point was that technically they are not at all similar. I know people think they are similar, hence the similar arguments. And yes, I agree about the romanticised notions, but there's not much we can do about that and we are all susceptible to that to a degree in any case.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

My point was that technically they are not at all similar. I know people think they are similar, hence the similar arguments. And yes, I agree about the romanticised notions, but there's not much we can do about that and we are all susceptible to that to a degree in any case.
    Pah, film has a lovely charm about it, with each different film having its own character, just like vinyl playback really.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm joe.

A major difference I can see is that you can't (unless very rich) press your own vinyl, in the way that you can develop and print photographic film.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    A major difference I can see is that you can't (unless very rich) press your own vinyl, in the way that you can develop and print photographic film.
    No, but you can record sound onto analogue tape quite easily ... and actually very few people had the facilities to process and print colour film stock in the domestic space (and it cost mucho...)

I'm inactive.

My point was that technically they are not at all similar.
    In the analogue realm - no, but in the digital realm there are an awful lot of similarities once the chunk of reality has been captured and converted.

Outside of that, they are both technological media that have had a huge impact on the modern world ... and continue to do so (see the content of this forum)
    Last edited by mikmas; 07-08-2018 at 17:12. Reason: spelling

I'm Shaun.

They both involved digitised analogue waveforms surely..?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    They both involved digitised analogue waveforms surely..?
    As far as I understand it they are completely unrelated. Sound and video have markedly different requirements. Mike seems to think otherwise, so I don't know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inactive.

Sound and video have markedly different requirements.
    Your original problem was with the term 'analogy' in this context

There are huge differences between a ship and a plough - doesn't stop them having an analogous relationship ....

I think if you consider the term 'analogue media' for more than a moment you would arrive at the same conclusion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast