+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS WAD 300b with mods

I'm Adrian.

Default FS WAD 300b with mods

World Audio Designs 300b push-pull (original)
    These are pretty rare, even though 2 are for sale on here at the moment. I bought this one from Adam (Westlower) last year after he convinced David Coe to sell his own heavily modified reference amp. Adam had earlier bought the one for sale here on this site, and the listing below borrows from the original, but with additions as further work done before I bought it.

This is the original WAD 300b push-pull power amplifier, offered by World Audio Designs as a kit ... the one with inter-stage transformers ... and written about in HiFi World here:
    http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.ph...html?showall=1. I can provide further documentation for any buyer.
    This is generally regarded as the finest amplifier kit made available by WAD. A number of people built clones of the kit, but this was built from the kit (and is all the better for it from a visual point of view, even if it does not have the wow factor of Adam’s polished steel version).

It is relatively standard, except for schottky diodes, and a few boutique parts sprinkled about, including some Mundorf and Elna Silmic capacitors. The 300Bs are Electro Harmonix, which posters on another site believe to be a good compromise between sound quality, robustness and cost. They certainly sound good to my ears.

The amplifier has two switchable modes, with and without feedback ... the latter providing the best sound imo. The 5687 and 6072 input/drivers are relatively new and have not been stressed in recent years. The amplifier is currently set-up for 8 ohm speakers, but also has 4 ohm taps on the output transformers (reconfigurable).

Work done on the amplifier includes:
    * set to correct operating point/dissipation for EH Gold valves of c.32 Watts/valve
    * 11dB input attenuators fitted (Audio Note tantalums) to work better with active preamps (and also passives)
    * replacement of old capacitors, incl. Mundorf ZNs coupling and Elna Silmics on cathode bypass
    * hum reduction via: re-configuration of earthing arrangements; fitted DC supply on input/driver valves; shielded wire on input and feedback wires; etc.
    * two additional small chokes better to decouple the input stage, for greater dynamics and image stability
    * tidied up the wiring to improve the hum level, along with adding screened wiring to the feedback circuit
    * converted to battery bias
    * noisy humbucker potentiometers replaced
    * cracked speaker sockets replaced with silver-plated, heavy-duty Audio Notes
    After all that (and more!), the amp owes me £1500, but is now functioning beautifully. PM me with questions ...

Most of this work was done by David Coe, whose website illustrates his great proficiency in valve amps (and much else).
    The amp is very heavy. Logically, collection only from North London (Finsbury Park) but I will deliver within c.100 miles.

One final thing to add is that DIYers still have work that can be done (such as boutique caps and resistors)

P1040058.jpg
    P1040061.jpg
    Selling price £1500

I'm Martin.

Bit like Buses.....................wait for ages then 2 along
    GLWYS
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Adrian.

Willing to consider offers

I'm Adrian.

price reduction to £1400

I'm Adrian.

Now Adam's has sold I can bump mine more assertively!

Anyone interested in replacing £1350 of the £1500 I paid for this last year?

I'm Adrian.

Bump. Now down to £1200. Please note that this is an Andy Grove (Audio Note) design
    Last edited by Adrian B; 29-11-2018 at 13:47.

I'm Neal.

It’s actually an Andy Grove design (of Audio Note). The original TdP design was scrapped in favour of Andy’s. It’s a stunning amplifier, one of the absolute best.

Good luck with the sale.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Adrian.

Oh Dear. Thanks. I hope I can change my listing

I'm Adam.

This was my original 300b and is a bloody bargain at this price. It's astonishingly good.
    Adrian is a good chap to deal with too.
    Buy with confidence!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adrian.

Default World Audio Design 300B

Bump. In view of interest in WAD 300B in another thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast