+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tropical Pressure and Upton Blues Festivals

I'm Ken.

Default Tropical Pressure and Upton Blues Festivals

I discovered a great festival this year “Tropical Pressure” at the Mount Pleasant Eco Park, outside Porthtown in Cornwall. Which is midway between Newquay and St Ives on the North Coast.
    13th to 15th July, Friday was Latin, with Columbian and Brazilian Bands on the main stage playing anything from samba to traditional ethnic. Saturday was African from Kenya/Congo/Gambia with a mix of tribal drum rhythms to African Jazz. Sunday was Caribbean with Ska and Reggae. The main stages closed at 11pm and the smaller indoor venues took over with MC's like the Mad Professor working it till around 2am.

The site overlooks the coastal village of Porthtown which is a surfing bay.

Behind the main Stage on the footpath down to Porthtown.

Main stage.

Me Chilling.

We had great weather and sunsets over the sea.

Main Stage on Saturday Night.

After the main stage had closed on Saturday night we happened upon a band “Solomento” running through their routine in the Blue Moon coffee tent, they were on the main stage the following day. By the end of this impromptu performance the tent was rammed and everyone was dancing. Best moment of the festival for me, everyone joined in singing in Patwa and the band were grinning like Cheshire cats.

The acoustic stage is under canvas and when the MC's take over they use the white tent to project moving images onto.

The weather, the setting, the music, the people, this was a weekend to remember, never been hugged so much in my life, even saw security guards being hugged! Its a veggie site, so food stalls were themed on Indian/African/Caribbean/Iranian food, to name but a few and it was fantastic, this coming from a non-vegetarian.

When we got back to my friends in Hereford, we had a few days rest before heading out to the Upton Blues Festival. Upton is South of Worcester and to the East of Hereford. It's the biggest free Blues festival in Europe. There are two main stages, the Riverside and the Big Top but I prefer the more intimate gigs where the acoustic blues can be appreciated.

Waiting for the next act in an open mic session at the White Lion.

Who were not strictly Blues, but very good all the same.

Dave Bristow and the Foregate Street Blues Band at the Swan.

Steve Ajao and the Blues Giants at the Wheelhouse Stage (Marina). I bumped into Alan (Firebottle) and his other half in the bar, trying to keep cool in the shade.

It's an older crowd at Upton and a different vibe, but good in it's own right.
    Got the Buxton Blues Festival coming up, looking forward to seeing Connie Lush again, she headlined the Big Top at Upton last year. Busy time.

I'm Alan.

Great photos Ken, was great to bump into you, I remembered you said you would be there.

One of my favourites was Locked and Loaded, they played a few Hendrix covers really well. The Glas Band put on a really good show as well, so tight it was superb.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 01-08-2018 at 21:05.

I'm Ken.

Yes, nice to see you and the missus.
    Dave Onions did a set at the Marina, but I caught him at a little intimate session in the bar/cafe opposite the Tower/Heritage Center on Sunday night and they served Wye Valley Brewery "Butty Bach" Ace.

P.S. I found the on off button from my phono stage. Called into the hall on my way back North. Two weeks had past, but it was exactly where I thought it would be.
    Last edited by Qwin; 01-08-2018 at 18:36.

+ Reply to Thread