View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

2 10.53%
  • 7/10

1 5.26%
  • 8/10

7 36.84%
  • 9/10

1 5.26%
  • 10/10

8 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, August 2018: David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, August 2018: David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane'

This month’ Album Club choice comes courtesy of Ian (Ian7632) with David Bowie’s 'Aladdin Sane'. As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

David Bowie – ‘Aladdin Sane’

For this month’s Album Club I've chosen Aladdin Sane by David Bowie. This is my favourite Bowie album for many reasons. It was the first one I heard as a kid, my brother played it to death and as the years passed and I heard more I still went back to Aladdin Sane.

Released in 1973 it met with mixed reviews, some loving it and others disappointed it wasn't more like Ziggy Stardust. It is quite different from Ziggy, more melodic and dare I say more of a rock album and more American than anything previous. It came in his most creative period and was followed by Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs and Young Americans before his Berlin period.

From the first track Watch that man, you know he's moved on from Ziggy, hard guitars and a driving rhythm. Then comes the title track Aladdin Sane, a sumptuous and stylish blend of simple sounding but complicated guitars and bass, almost romantic piano and the most astonishing and stunningly beautiful piano solo performed by Mike Garson. It's quite a busy track despite being so laid back. Two singles came from the album: 'Drive in Saturday' and 'Jean Genie'. There's a powerful cover of The Rolling Stone's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' and the album is rounded off with the beautiful 'Lady Grinning Soul'.

The Wikipedia entry has some very interesting information about the concept and creation of Aladdin Sane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_Sane

I really hope you like it. One thing I will mention is that the latest version on vinyl is not the best exercise in re-mastering, the best modern version I've heard is the 30th anniversary release with a second CD of studio and live performances.

Spotify link https://open.spotify.com/album/3HZKO...Rk2adkyYJ1Csqw

YouTube https://youtu.be/G1loH-YvTDY

I'm Grant.

As Yes, A truly good album and a great cover.. This and its predecessor, Ziggy were regular players for me in my teenage days as light entertainment from my usual Sabbath/Zep usual "A lad Insane" s i call it or Love Aladdin Vein as it was originally going to be is well worth a listen if youve not heard it.
    good write up ian...

i'll give it 8
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

It's a great album but I do prefer his debut album, Hunkydory, Scary monsters, and of course Spiders.

7/10
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

This era Bowie for me will always be 10/10 so that's what I have voted. I still have my vinyl edition I bought the day it was released, the price label on it is £7.99 which is incredible really when you think what we pay for music now, it's almost too cheap but people still don't want to buy it!

Great choice
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

I prefer German period and later Bowie.
    Regards Neil

I'm Ian.

I find myself going through his different incarnations and feeling the characters he becomes, their style and emotion......sorry, bit gushy there. From the very early material, Ziggy and the American period, Berlin and the Glass Spider phase, the 90's and later through to Black Star which sends a shiver down my spine now, his last gift to us. Yes, I'm a Bowie fan no doubt
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

I gave it 8, but perhaps should have been 9 as it was close behind my all time favourite of any album Hunky Dory.

High points for me are the title track (for that piano), and Time. We should be on by now!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I find myself going through his different incarnations and feeling the characters he becomes, their style and emotion......sorry, bit gushy there. From the very early material, Ziggy and the American period, Berlin and the Glass Spider phase, the 90's and later through to Black Star which sends a shiver down my spine now, his last gift to us. Yes, I'm a Bowie fan no doubt
    Me too.

I gave Aladdin Sane 8/10. It's one of my faves but I prefer Hunky Dory and obviously the faultless Ziggy album.

Aladdin Sane, Drive In Saturday, the cover of Let's Spend The Night Together and the awesome Lady Grinning Soul are my faves on " A Ladd Insane"

Does anyone else like the 1995 "Outside" album? It's a personal favourite, although I don't think it's highly regarded in general.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    This era Bowie for me will always be 10/10 so that's what I have voted. I still have my vinyl edition I bought the day it was released, the price label on it is £7.99 which is incredible really when you think what we pay for music now, it's almost too cheap but people still don't want to buy it!

Great choice
    Surely it would've been about £1.99 in 1973 !? That sounds more like a late 80s price.

I'm Martin.

I like lots of early Bowie.

There is always the odd track I think is strange but this album gets an 8/10 from me.
    Thanks for suggesting as I had listened to this in ages.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast