View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

2 10.53%
  • 7/10

1 5.26%
  • 8/10

7 36.84%
  • 9/10

1 5.26%
  • 10/10

8 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, August 2018: David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane'

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    When I played this album through last month and it came to 'that piano', Mrs. P got up and left the room quickly, saying 'this is crap', and the cat looked at me as if to say 'you bastard', before also leaving the room. IT'S THAT GOOD.

I assume Monk is a band. I should check that out.
    I guess " that solo " is rather Marmite, you either love it or hate it and Mrs P voted with her feet. However as cats eat mice and lick their own bottoms I think their tastes are dubious to say the least. My Mia has a particular dislike of reggae or maybe it's just the bass going up her backside is enough to dislodge her from her perch on top of a speaker.
    Anyway it's good to have music that can clear the room of unbelievers without having to resort to getting the Slipknot albums out
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

I agree 100% Ian, it's nice to have something that we can call our own. And as for Alice (the cat), I only need to put some dreamies in her mouse, and all is forgiven.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Brook.

I am a huge fan of Bowie, love everything he has done & seen him live many times, so it is hard for me to be critical of any of his music, & I am not going to start now. Aladdin Sane is a superb album, one of his very best, I have 6 versions, all vinyl & play them often. So many high points, the title track is a masterpiece & Garsons piano is wonderful, Lady Grinning Soul is a beautiful song, so emotional, Drive-In Saturday, a great single that I never tire of hearing, the great theatre of Cracked Actor, really I could go on about this all day, every track deserves a mention, but I will spare you.
    I did of course vote 10/10.

I'm Adrian.

Yes one of his best, I generally like most of Bowie's output. In fact naughtily I have just ordered , Ziggy, Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters on 180gm vinyl even thoughI have them on CD they are not the best. I am looking forward to hearing them on vinyl again, I hope they are good masterings/pressings.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    This era Bowie for me will always be 10/10 so that's what I have voted. I still have my vinyl edition I bought the day it was released, the price label on it is £7.99 which is incredible really when you think what we pay for music now, it's almost too cheap but people still don't want to buy it!

Great choice
    Surely it would've been about £1.99 in 1973 !? That sounds more like a late 80s price.

I'm Grant.

might have been an early 80's reissue. was one about 81. 73 was a long time ago, but guessing 2 to 5 quid. another way to guess would be a barcode. a 73 release wouldnt have one as they didnt start coming out til 74, and were not instantly on everything.
    Last edited by struth; 10-10-2018 at 09:12.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I find myself going through his different incarnations and feeling the characters he becomes, their style and emotion......sorry, bit gushy there. From the very early material, Ziggy and the American period, Berlin and the Glass Spider phase, the 90's and later through to Black Star which sends a shiver down my spine now, his last gift to us. Yes, I'm a Bowie fan no doubt
    Me too.

I gave Aladdin Sane 8/10. It's one of my faves but I prefer Hunky Dory and obviously the faultless Ziggy album.

Aladdin Sane, Drive In Saturday, the cover of Let's Spend The Night Together and the awesome Lady Grinning Soul are my faves on " A Ladd Insane"

Does anyone else like the 1995 "Outside" album? It's a personal favourite, although I don't think it's highly regarded in general.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    might have been an early 80's reissue. was one about 81. 73 was a long time ago, but guessing 2 to 5 quid. another way to guess would be a barcode. a 73 release wouldnt have one as they didnt start coming out til 74, and were not instantly on everything.
    According to Discogs Aladdin Sane was re-released in UK in 1976, 1981, 1984, 1990, 1999(180gm), 2016 (unofficial), and thats vinyl only and there are several with others catalogued as UK releases but with no date. It was obviously a good earner for the record company and presumably Bowie as well.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    According to Discogs Aladdin Sane was re-released in UK in 1976, 1981, 1984, 1990, 1999(180gm), 2016 (unofficial), and thats vinyl only and there are several with others catalogued as UK releases but with no date. It was obviously a good earner for the record company and presumably Bowie as well.
    been thinking re barcodes and betting the 76 one wont be coded. 81 probably will. think it was late 70's before they kinda filtered to majority of things
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

The first albums I bought, which were the back end of '72 all cost less than 3 quid, and that included 'Billion Dollar Babies' which was one of the dearer single albums at the time. IIRC, I bought 'Aladdin Sane' about April the following year so would have been also under £3. Bearing in mind that in my trade the average wage was £30 per week, so that's 10 albums per wage. The current equivalent pay would probably buy about 30 vinyl albums or about 50 CD's.

We've never had it so good!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast