+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Hifiman 400 headphones?

I'm Hal.

Default Opinions on Hifiman 400 headphones?

I see that a few members have headphones by Hifiman and I'm looking to get a pair, hopefully soon. Would like to know how reliable they have been and any overall comments. My two cans at the moment are AUDIO Technica AD 900s, the originals, and Jays u-jays. All good headphones but I'd love to add a pair of planars to the collection. Hopefully, these would be my "endgame" pair and complete the collection.
    Music tastes are strings, piano, vocals generally and a detailed sound with warmth and musicality.
    Thanks in advance.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Geoff.

I bought a pair of Hifiman HE400i headphones on Amazon earlier this year. I have been very happy with them. As a user of Magneplanar speakers I value a very fast sound with great detail recovery. The Hifiman headphones provide me with a similar sound to my speakers. Bass is extended but not overblown as is the case with many modern headphones. They are well made with comfortable ear pads, though I cannot wear any headphone for extended periods without feeling some discomfort.

The one downside is the ridiculously short cable (1.2m). Fortunately, the cable is detachable and a longer good quality cable can be purchased for about £20.

I see the deal I got on Amazon is available again. At this price it is a steal.

Geoff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIFIMAN-HE4...s=hifiman+400i

Just noticed you are from Oz. You may have to spend a bit more to get them where you are.

I'm Hal.

Amazon no longer ships to Australia since opening a local, and vastly overpriced and inferior, local operation. Can I ask if build quality is acceptable, this has long been a controversial topic with the brand.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Hal.

Amazon no longer ships to Australia since opening a local, and vastly overpriced and inferior, local operation. Can I ask if build quality is acceptable, this has long been a controversial topic with the brand.

I'm Geoff.

I have seen some negative comments about build quality but they seem pretty well made to me.

I'm steve.

I had the HE400S for quite a while and found them excellent, I think for the money they’re hard to beat. Btw Geoff is the SMSL headphone amp working out ok for you ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I had the HE400S for quite a while and found them excellent, I think for the money they’re hard to beat. Btw Geoff is the SMSL headphone amp working out ok for you ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve,

Yes thanks, it's working fine in my bedroom system.

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Tge oppos are worth considering if you can still find a pair.. superb cans with my smsl headphone amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hal.

Oppo are now difficult to find, and expensive even as a second hand purchase. Also, I think they are on ear rather than over ear and I now know from the u-jays that over ear I vastly prefer.
    I've read up on fostex and monoprice, but Hifiman seems the most likely to tick all my boxes.
    Sorry about the duplicated post above, using a tablet I'm not familiar with to post this.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    Oppo are now difficult to find, and expensive even as a second hand purchase. Also, I think they are on ear rather than over ear and I now know from the u-jays that over ear I vastly prefer.
    I've read up on fostex and monoprice, but Hifiman seems the most likely to tick all my boxes.
    Sorry about the duplicated post above, using a tablet I'm not familiar with to post this.
    no bother, just a thought.. they are over-ear tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast