+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with British comedy?

I'm jamie.

bill hicks,enough said!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Can't stand Stewart Lee. He's nothing like as clever as he thinks he is.
    Who is Stewart Lee. Have to confess I don't watch TV comedy - I much prefer radio comedy.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

He was on the radio years ago. You're not missing anything so don't worry.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm bob.

https://youtu.be/4n-UGQcG3Jw

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You've seen the briefing too, then?

Post Brexit watching these shows will be compulsory. And all applicants for residency must take a 2 hour test on the 'Carry On' films, an 80% score will be required to pass.

Male applicants will have to demonstrate that they can do a reasonable facsimile of Sid James' dirty laugh and females will have to squeak like Barbara Windsor when her bra flies off.
    I would genuinely vote for a party that had such a policy in its manifesto.

I suspect dividing lines in comedy are broadly the same as those that came out in the Brexit thread. I think another poll/ban may be round the corner

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Not really. On one side are the people who like Stewart Lee and on the other we have Macca. If that doesn't bring out the Stewart Lee haters I don't know what will.

Comedy is like most other things in life: not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Anto.

Comedy is like food . Not all of it appeals to everyone !!
    I am guilty of not reading all the thread (as I have to make my own mind up before its made up for me ) but I do think comedy has 2 sides to it

The hear it first and laugh yourself silly , or not and the sort that matures with age .

Thats me anyway , Dads Army and Porridge , as a teenager I was a bit wary of it and didnt find it that funny , but now I am an old fart , its like fine wine !!
    I love a lot of League of Gentlemen ,as I did with Monty Python ,although bits of it ,I dont get or like .
    Its a strange indidvidual thing . (I think)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

Yes Stewart Lee takes it to another level but I dont want to sound like a comedy snob. Gerorge Carlin was a genius in my eyes as was Bill Hicks.

I do think there is higher level that only the best can get to. Monty Python and The league Of gentlemen got there as did Brass Eye.

If you like it low brow there is always the carry on films and Mrs Browns Boys Lets be controversial here in that I feel the best comedy takes the sharpest of wits and intelligence. Are there dividing lines in comedy or is anything that makes people laugh just a good thing?

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes Stewart Lee takes it to another level but I dont want to sound like a comedy snob. Gerorge Carlin was a genius in my eyes as was Bill Hicks.

I do think there is higher level that only the best can get to. Monty Python and The league Of gentlemen got there as did Brass Eye.

If you like it low brow there is always the carry on films and Mrs Browns Boys Lets be controversial here in that I feel the best comedy takes the sharpest of wits and intelligence. Are there dividing lines in comedy or is anything that makes people laugh just a good thing?
    I think so Martin. Laughter is the best medicine !!
    Not British Comedy but Porky's always makes me laugh so much !! I suppose laughing at close to the edge things is also what some do ,or dont , depends on your company too !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

For me, comedy generally has to be zany and 'alternative' (a little 'out there') before I'll find it funny. Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, and mainstream stuff like that has never done it for me, plus for my tastes, the humour is rather too 'English'.

The only mainstream British comedies/sitcoms I've enjoyed, which I can remember are, in no particular order:

1) Only Fools and Horses, which in particular I thought was pure genius.
    2) Rising Damp
    3) Fawlty Towers
    4) The Young Ones/Bottom
    5) Blackadder (to a degree, but at times it can also be a bit too predictable, and overtly 'English')
    6) Father Ted
    7) The original series of Red Dwarf
    8) The Office
    9) Porridge
    10) Little Britain.

Some of the other nonsense, associated with 'British Comedy', for me, is mind-numbingly inane and instantly forgettable.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast