+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bookshelf speaker recommendations?

I'm simon.

Default bookshelf speaker recommendations?

Hi all,
    i am looking to upgrade my current speakers (dali zensor 1) which although are fine budget speakers, just feel they lack something.

originally i thought about buying new and have (home) trialed dynaudio m10, m20 and monitor audio silver 50.
    liked all the above, especially the m10.
    my set-up is basically a desktop system, so using as near field monitors really.
    they are mounted on wall brackets either side of my pc monitor.
    due to this they are very close to the back wall, which did create a slight boom with the m20 (rectified with bungs).
    As nearly all my gear is 2nd hand, i cant help but think i would get better value buying used.
    of course this is a bit of a gamble unless its one of the 3 options i have already trialed.
    what i'm after is any other suggestions that may be worth a try on the used market?
    i am currently bidding on a pair of monitor audio silver rx1's which i think may well fit the bill.
    ideally something similar in size to the m10 and my budget is £300ish. any more than that and i think i'd be better off buying new m10's.
    thanks for looking
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Geoff.

Give serious consideration to the Martin Logan Motion 2 or 4. I have a pair of the Motion 2 in my bedroom system. These are seriously good speakers. The Motion 4 have more bass weight and depth, but potentially a bit too much for your proposed set up. I have seen some going for reasonable prices on ebay from the USA and elsewhere.

For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Lo...AAAOSwelta~uxr

Geoff
    Last edited by Sherwood; 30-07-2018 at 07:46.

I'm Loz.

Morning Simon

Perhaps these might be of interest?

Regards

Loz

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ctive-speakers

I'm Neil.

Pair of Royd speakers. Merlin, or Sorcerer... Edens work well near a wall. Sapphire MK1 or Sintra MK1 too. They all do really...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm steve.

Hello Simon,
    I’ve recently bought a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s which I’ve been delighted with, Imo they are probably the best sounding and best finished speakers under £500, mine are gloss white, they’ve had loads of rave reviews and awards and having been out for a few years they are now quite heavily discounted, I paid £289 from Richer Sounds about 6 weeks ago. I use them stand mounted but QA do supply foam port bungs if you are going to use them near a rear wall. Don’t think you can go wrong with them.
    What amp will you be using ? I’ve driven mine with an Amptastic Mini 1 when I had them in the bedroom and they worked well, but since I moved them into the living room and powered them with my Cambridge CXA60 it moved the SQ to a different level.
    Here’s a link to the most in depth review I could find.
    http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/q_a...test_lores.pdf
    Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 30-07-2018 at 16:09.

I'm simon.

cheers for the replies guys.
    i will look into the options mentioned though i will admit i had not even considered active speakers.
    though i have considered the idea of adding a sub to my existing dali's.
    it is the bottom end i feel they are lacking in tbh.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm simon.

Steve,
    those concept 20's are appealing due to their compact size, though looking at their specs i do wonder if they will provide the extra bottom end i'm after.
    i suppose it would depend on room dynamics and positioning. i will see if i can get some on home trial.
    do you use a sub with yours?
    btw my amp is a marantz pm7003

on a tangent now.......
    i like the look of the record storage under your (rega?) deck.
    can i ask where you got it, as it would suit my needs too?
    cheers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    Steve,
    those concept 20's are appealing due to their compact size, though looking at their specs i do wonder if they will provide the extra bottom end i'm after.
    i suppose it would depend on room dynamics and positioning. i will see if i can get some on home trial.
    do you use a sub with yours?
    btw my amp is a marantz pm7003

on a tangent now.......
    i like the look of the record storage under your (rega?) deck.
    can i ask where you got it, as it would suit my needs too?
    cheers
    Usher s520
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Brian.

The MA RX1 have a bit of a midbass lift and definetly won’t work close to a wall, I had mine about 30cm from the back wall and the bass was to boomy..

Maybe think about getting a sealed speaker.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereosane View Post
    The MA RX1 have a bit of a midbass lift and definetly won’t work close to a wall, I had mine about 30cm from the back wall and the bass was to boomy..

Maybe think about getting a sealed speaker.
    The Martin Logan Motion speakers I mentioned are designed to be used close to a wall. They even come with a simple wall mounting kit.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast