+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bookshelf speaker recommendations?

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Simon there are some lovely Rogers JR149's in the Private Exhibitions section...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...9-Mk1-Speakers

They use the same drivers as the famous, and expensive LS3/5a's, and in my opinion are probably the best near field monitors ever made...
    thanks for the heads-up Bev, but i doubt they would offer the increased low end that i am after. plus they would not suit my wall brackets.

i am going to trial a small sub to compliment my dali's (rel t-zero), will see how that goes.
    cheers
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm steve.

A friend of mine had some JR149s back in the 1970s, from memory they sounded pretty good although he had to upgrade to a more powerful amp to drive them comfortably as they are quite inefficient, about 80db/w I believe, bass was pretty decent using the dedicated wall mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post

major stumbling block is richer sounds dont allow free home trials, from what i have read elsewhere.
    I'd ask them. They let me take their top of the range cd player home on sale or return.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm jamie.

i recently heard a pair of Dynaudio Emit M20's, they are great speakers and well worth an audition.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Audio Note don't generally publish prices - you need to ask one of their dealers like The Audiobarn.
    Mel,
    when you sold me the RP3 (which i'm loving btw) i could not help but notice that even though you have some high end stand mount speakers , you still use a sub!
    its made me think that i may need to follow suit , but within my budget of course.
    do you (or anyone else for that matter) feel that stand mount speakers always need a sub?
    or was it because your speakers are not close to a back wall?
    cheers
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm simon.

finally bagged a 2nd hand pair of M10's off ebay, may still add a sub later.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    Mel,
    when you sold me the RP3 (which i'm loving btw) i could not help but notice that even though you have some high end stand mount speakers , you still use a sub!
    its made me think that i may need to follow suit , but within my budget of course.
    do you (or anyone else for that matter) feel that stand mount speakers always need a sub?
    or was it because your speakers are not close to a back wall?
    cheers
    Sorry for the late reply, i didn't spot your post,

The sub is from MJ Acoustics and is designed to partner with hifi rather than TV surround sound like a lot of the cheaper subs.

I bought it on impulse and tend to switch it in and out as i feel which tends to infer i am not convinced about its benefit. When in use its set to kick in around 60 Hz so only adds a little to the bottom end (my speakers go down to 50Hz on paper).

They are not a fix for a poor speaker and many are set too high so give a mono sound to all bass notes (think boomy). When just adding a little they can work quite well.

Mine is not for sale but you are welcome to give it a try to see if a sub will give what you what you are looking for. PM me if you wish to try it.

Glad to see you got the speakers you were chasing

Mel

I'm simon.

thanks for the reply Mel.
    just set the M10's up , such a massive upgrade on my poor old Dali's (which were good for the price).
    not sure i'll be needing a sub now but i appreciate the trial offer.
    my wallet needs to recover until the new year now at least
    cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123