+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bookshelf speaker recommendations?

I'm steve.

Default bookshelf speaker recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    Steve,
    those concept 20's are appealing due to their compact size, though looking at their specs i do wonder if they will provide the extra bottom end i'm after.
    i suppose it would depend on room dynamics and positioning. i will see if i can get some on home trial.
    do you use a sub with yours?
    btw my amp is a marantz pm7003

on a tangent now.......
    i like the look of the record storage under your (rega?) deck.
    can i ask where you got it, as it would suit my needs too?
    cheers
    I think it's very dependent on room and positioning, if they're in front of a flat back wall and you position them at the QA recommended 8" from it then you should find the bass excellent, the thing is they are so non resonant with the Gelcore cabinets that they really show up how the cabinets of other speakers add to the sound in the bass, you may think they lack "fullness" but after you've listened to them for quite a while you realise how accurate, detailed and textured the bass is, it's a revelation. I bought mine for a second system but they proved to be so good they've displaced my QA3050 floor standers in the living room setup and they aren't too shabby either, even though mine don't have a flat back wall to aid the bass the bass still goes pretty deep (40hz ish). When I'm listening to digital I like to give them a little assist with the iTunes equaliser, about 3db boost in the 64hz band works nicely. Analogue doesn't need any help though.
    As I use the setup for movies as well I thought I might need a sub but tbh I tried them with Blade Runner 2049 which has a lot of hefty deep bass and they sounded great, if you fancy a sub QA do a quite inexpensive one the 2070si for £169, DSP driven and 140watts of Class D power, twin drivers. too.
    The record storage unit is a Kallax unit £25 from IKEA, mine’s the basic plain white which is the cheapest, but they do gloss white at £40 as well as wood effect (oak) for £30.
    Yes it's a Rega Planar 3 (2016) upgraded with RPM engineering machined alloy subplatter and Edwards Audio Little Belter Blue drive belt, fitted with an ATF7 moving coil cartridge.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 04-08-2018 at 22:04.

I'm simon.

hoping to bag a pair of M10's by the weekend!!
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm richard.

Hi all,
    i am looking to upgrade my current speakers (dali zensor 1) which although are fine budget speakers, just feel they lack something.

originally i thought about buying new and have (home) trialed dynaudio m10, m20 and monitor audio silver 50.
    liked all the above, especially the m10.
    my set-up is basically a desktop system, so using as near field monitors really.
    they are mounted on wall brackets either side of my pc monitor.
    due to this they are very close to the back wall, which did create a slight boom with the m20 (rectified with bungs).
    As nearly all my gear is 2nd hand, i cant help but think i would get better value buying used.
    of course this is a bit of a gamble unless its one of the 3 options i have already trialed.
    what i'm after is any other suggestions that may be worth a try on the used market?
    i am currently bidding on a pair of monitor audio silver rx1's which i think may well fit the bill.
    ideally something similar in size to the m10 and my budget is £300ish. any more than that and i think i'd be better off buying new m10's.
    thanks for looking
    For near field listening I'd be looking at infinite baffle or front firing speakers such as Audio Note AX1s, and shouldn't exceed your budget. Perhaps active monitors will be a viable alternative.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm simon.

hoping to bag a pair of M10's by the weekend!!
    seller had to pull out, so still looking
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
    For near field listening I'd be looking at infinite baffle or front firing speakers such as Audio Note AX1s, and shouldn't exceed your budget. Perhaps active monitors will be a viable alternative.
    Hi Richard,
    the AX1's look interesting but i am struggling to find an advertised price , for reasons that fail me

I'm Mel.

Audio Note don't generally publish prices - you need to ask one of their dealers like The Audiobarn.

I'm Alan.

My son bought a pair of the Cambrige Aero 2 speakers and I was seriously impressed how good they sound £299

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUu8Y-LmCg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk4JO2B8M2A

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Audio Note don't generally publish prices - you need to ask one of their dealers like The Audiobarn.
    thanks Mel

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    My son bought a pair of the Cambrige Aero 2 speakers and I was seriously impressed how good they sound £299

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUu8Y-LmCg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk4JO2B8M2A

Alan
    thanks for the suggestion Alan, i will look into those, though their size may be an issue.
    i tried the Dynaudio m20 but it's size was a bit large too as i sit so close to them, though they were rear ported. maybe a front ported option would work .

major stumbling block is richer sounds dont allow free home trials, from what i have read elsewhere.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Simon there are some lovely Rogers JR149's in the Private Exhibitions section...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...9-Mk1-Speakers

They use the same drivers as the famous, and expensive LS3/5a's, and in my opinion are probably the best near field monitors ever made...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast