+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cleaning my Pins

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've alluded to this in the past, but not in those terms. Also, there occurs what I call 'micro welding' between mating surfaces that carry current (I'm sure there's a better description, but I don't know what it is).
    Taken from Wikipedia:

Macroscopically smooth and clean surfaces are microscopically rough and, in air, contaminated with oxides, adsorbed water vapor, and atmospheric contaminants. When two metal electrical contacts touch, the actual metal-to-metal contact area is small compared to the total contact-to-contact area physically touching. In electrical contact theory, the relatively small area where electrical current flows between two contacts is called the a-spot where "a" stands for asperity.

If the small a-spot is treated as a circular area and the resistivity of the metal is homogeneous, then the current and voltage in the metal conductor has spherical symmetry and a simple calculation can relate the size of the a-spot to the resistance of the electrical contact interface. If there is metal-to-metal contact between electrical contacts, then the electrical contact resistance (as opposed to the bulk resistance of the contact metal) is mostly due to constriction of the current through a very small area, the a-spot.

Contact force or pressure increases the size of the a-spot which decreases the constriction resistance and the electrical contact resistance. When the size of contacting asperities becomes larger than the mean free path of electrons, Holm-type contacts become the dominant transport mechanism, resulting in a relative low contact resistance.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

You left me behind after the first couple of lines Barry .

I'm sure I'd follow all that if I could still summon the energy to do the research. Getting very lazy mentally these days.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Contact force or pressure increases the size of the a-spot which decreases the constriction resistance and the electrical contact resistance. When the size of contacting asperities becomes larger than the mean free path of electrons, Holm-type contacts become the dominant transport mechanism, resulting in a relative low contact resistance.
    That's why I used to like RCA plugs with split pins as well as collars - if they get a bit slack they can be opened up to increase pressure.

Haven't come across many like that recently though

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    That's why I used to like RCA plugs with split pins as well as collars - if they get a bit slack they can be opened up to increase pressure.

Haven't come across many like that recently though
    Z plugs?

Sorry wrong plugs...doh
    Last edited by Stryder5; 30-07-2018 at 16:59. Reason: Being stupid

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You left me behind after the first couple of lines Barry .

I'm sure I'd follow all that if I could still summon the energy to do the research. Getting very lazy mentally these days.
    yep well over my head too!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Hmm, never used this stuff before but looks interesting. Cheap to try and no harm.

I wonder if it easy to clean the sockets themselves in situ by using something like a stiff small artist paint brush coated with this solution? (Obviously turned off at the consumer unit).

But maybe overall better to replace the sockets with new ones and go switchless? Mine must be getting on for 30 years so I guess pretty oxidised.

Added: Can't find 2 gang switchless wall sockets. Perhaps UK regs don't allow such things?
    pipe cleaners folded in two
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234