+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning my Pins

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    It shouldn’t do - ultrasonic is far more gentle than any other cleaning method.
    Wouldn't use it to clean my LPs...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Edward.

Hmm, never used this stuff before but looks interesting. Cheap to try and no harm.

I wonder if it easy to clean the sockets themselves in situ by using something like a stiff small artist paint brush coated with this solution? (Obviously turned off at the consumer unit).

But maybe overall better to replace the sockets with new ones and go switchless? Mine must be getting on for 30 years so I guess pretty oxidised.

Added: Can't find 2 gang switchless wall sockets. Perhaps UK regs don't allow such things?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Hmm, never used this stuff before but looks interesting. Cheap to try and no harm.

I wonder if it easy to clean the sockets themselves in situ by using something like a stiff small artist paint brush coated with this solution? (Obviously turned off at the consumer unit).

But maybe overall better to replace the sockets with new ones and go switchless? Mine must be getting on for 30 years so I guess pretty oxidised.

Added: Can't find 2 gang switchless wall sockets. Perhaps UK regs don't allow such things?
    Here you go
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Pl...-/331399831027
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Edward.

Thanks Jim

I really gotta stop reading threads like this. All it ends up doing is costing me money.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Thanks Jim

I really gotta stop reading threads like this. All it ends up doing is costing me money.
    Far cheaper than some interconnects and mains leads and cleaning pins is almost free!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The ones I use and they are Superb. It was our very own Marco that recommended them a while back and glad I did as I was told
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It is true that silver oxide is conductive, but the tarnish that easily develops on silver plated connectors is not silver oxide, because silver does not oxidize. Instead it is silver sulfide, brown to very dark brown (as opposed to pure black for silver oxide). Silver sulfide is not a conductor, but a semiconductor.30 Oct 2017

Just found this. Does seem contradictory though.

silver oxide is prepared in situ from silver nitrate and alkali hydroxide.
    Silver oxide (Ag2O) is not a conductor, it is an insulator (resistivity 10+9 Ohm.m) and is transparent. The yellow through to black tarnishing of silver is silver sulphide (Ag2S), which is a semiconductor (resitivity 1.5-2.0 10-3 Ohm.m). These values are to be compared to that of pure silver (1.6 10-8 Ohm.m), so at best are some 105 times higher.

But it doesn't really matter because both are soft, so the action of inserting the plug into the socket will readily 'cut' through the thin surface tarnishing.

Surface smoothness is again largely irrelevent as contact is made through microscopic asperities on the surface, which even if appearing to be smooth only account for between 10 - 15% of the actual surface area.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Covered some time ago, I use 5A round pin plugs an sockets, and duraglit to clean followed by De-Oxit.

The round holes can be done with a cotton bud, and the whole process is IMO worth it.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Silver oxide (Ag2O) is not a conductor, it is an insulator (resistivity 10+9 Ohm.m) and is transparent. The yellow through to black tarnishing of silver is silver sulphide (Ag2S), which is a semiconductor (resitivity 1.5-2.0 10-3 Ohm.m). These values are to be compared to that of pure silver (1.6 10-8 Ohm.m), so at best are some 105 times higher.

But it doesn't really matter because both are soft, so the action of inserting the plug into the socket will readily 'cut' through the thin surface tarnishing.

Surface smoothness is again largely irrelevent as contact is made through microscopic asperities on the surface, which even if appearing to be smooth only account for between 10 - 15% of the actual surface area.
    Sounds good, but way above my pay grade. Whats the key take away here Barry? Not to bother with all this cleaning and polishing? Very happy to save money for other activities.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've alluded to this in the past, but not in those terms. Also, there occurs what I call 'micro welding' between mating surfaces that carry current (I'm sure there's a better description, but I don't know what it is).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast